Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Trade in value 2009 Thomas...

My search continues...
I've stumbled upon a small town local to me that's looking to off a 2009 shorty Thomas Saf-t-liner C2, 30 pass. with wheelchair lift. It has 120K miles, runs and drives. was last safety inspected last month. It has visible rust at the bottom of the rear E-door, bubbling paint the size of a mature lemon around left rear wheel well, as well as the bottom of the wheelchair door. Not badly rusted, but any rust is not good.
They're selling it by way of sealed bid.
I was able to discover they have a minimum price they'll accept based on the trade in value towards a new bus at the dealership. That "magic" # is not being divulged to the public!
Unfortunately, unlike cars and light duty trucks, there's no NADA or KBB to go to for pricing info on school busses that I've been able to find.

What I need to find out is what a new bus dealer would allow for the trade in detailed above. Even a ballpark $# is okay...
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, in advance.
Pete

peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
My best suggestion is to run away.

A 2009 has full emmissions equipment and will be much more prone to service issues that you may see in a pre 2004 bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My best suggestion is to run away.

A 2009 has full emmissions equipment and will be much more prone to service issues that you may see in a pre 2004 bus.
Thanks for the feedback Steve.
I was aware of the Feds screwing up the diesel engines starting in 2004.
I just figured by 09, the bugs would have been worked out for more reliable platforms.
Guess not???

Is there a newer year bus produced, that clears some of the 2004 EPA mandated "hurdles" or are they all now unreliable or prone to electronic engine control foibles?
Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Plus if there's that much visible rust I could almost guarantee your floor will be toast.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I agree with Marc that the rust is another consideration that could be a deal killer.

We also see a lot of post 2004 buses for sale with issues with the emmissions systems.

Take a look at:
https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/

For discussion of later drive trains.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The way I see it, there's a *REASON* they're getting rid of it. Don't inherit their headaches. Let some dealer have it.

After '04, most gas engines in the smaller cutaway style buses are OK, but I would avoid any of the diesel emissions buses. The Ford 6.0 isn't bad *IF* it's been "bulletproofed" (not cheap), the IH VT365 is the same base engine. The MaxxForce engines were nightmares with the emissions hardware - so much so that even IH finally had to abandon them.

Most of us will suggest finding something '04 or older, from places where rust is less of a problem. The extra cost of transporting home will be more than offset by the rust you *DON'T* have to fix later.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Thanx for all of the tips fellas.
I'm sure there are cleaner, (rust wise), busses out there. I'm on the hunt, and feel confident one will find me, eventually...

I've decided that I'm trying to avoid the cutaway platforms, as the floor work needed to be able to get into the drivers seat safely from my wheelchair is an added headache and cost that can be avoided in a truck based platform. If all else fails, I guess I could do one, maybe...?

I'm just wondering if there is any newer year diesel powered busses that have reached their "Holy Grail" of electronic/mechanical reliability, while still conforming to the 04 emissions regs.
In other words: Manufacturer "X" has figured it out, and their vehicles no longer require 6 months out of the year in the repair shop for troublesome electronic gremlins?