Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Trailer Hitch on Rear-Engined Bus

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has added a hitch to a rear-engined bus before. Specifically, a Thomas MVP-ER with a CAT 3126. There is a whole hell of a lot going on in the area where you'd mount a hitch, like the oil pan, motor mounts, and the frame is a bit complex around there too.

I found this hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-13703.html

I need to get up under it and do some measuring to make sure there is a clear space for this to bolt to, and to make sure it wouldn't sit too low. We are planning on pulling an open flat trailer with a SPEC E30 (BMW racecar) on it. Probably 4,500 lbs total. The hitch I linked is not rated for this weight, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a hitch that might fit that would be rated for this weight (Class IV?) or if I should look into getting a custom one welded up.

I found this nifty little device for making a trailer harness work:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Teko...FYi4wAody7oBMQ

Thanks!

porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
It has been asked before, and I am thinking of doing it on a bluebird re. Some busses have and "engine cradle" that bolts to the main frame. If that's the case you may have to make some extension pieces from the frame. But someone with more knowledge of the Thomas bus may be able to steer you right.
As long as the hitch is attached to the frame you should be ok. Now engine size and gearing... That's a whole other discussion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
The Draw-Tite 41990 looks to me like a nice kit for building a custom width receiver.

Can't comment on the attachment to the frame. Blue Birds, at least my year 1999 and 2000, have a dropped sub-frame for the engine. No idea whether Thomas is similar. I haven't made up my mind yet as to how much weight I might be comfortable towing on that sub-frame assembly on mine.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I am looking to pull a trailer also. I saw this hitch (link below) at Wal Mart today. I don't know if it will fit your bus (or mine) but it looks adjustable. I have had good luck with Reese hitches in the past. I have seen this one sold many places (from Amazon and eBay to Home Depot and Wal Mart). I have seen prices from $99 - $175. My plan is to purchase from my local Wal Mart so if it doesn't bolt on easily or I cannot make it work I can simply return it. I know Wal Mart has issues but I have never had an issue returning anything (with or without a receipt).

Class IV-Multi Fit Hitch-37042-Reese Towpower
BadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I went to a welder and had a hitch installed - they can do a lot to get a solid connection with the hitch I figured it was worth it - to avoid losing a large load, or even a small load, while driving.

It only cost me $325 - parts and labor.

I just need to figure out the wiring now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7108.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
I was wondering if anyone has added a hitch to a rear-engined bus before.
Porkchop sandwiches! Wow - does that bring back memories!! The ones at Pork Chop John's in Butte, MT were really awesome!! My Dad and I would make a trip down from Helena at every opportunity.

I installed a bolt-on 'universal' hitch from eTrailer on my MCI. eTrailer is super helpful with detail questions (measurements). Regardless, it is a project - at least it was on my coach. I would have MUCH preferred to pay someone to do it but time did not allow that.

The wiring thing MAY be required depending on your bus and trailer/toad lights. I think nearly all (??) modern vehicles require one as they have separate brake and turn signal lights. I needed one (for a 7 pin connector) and it did save the day.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I didn't want anything under the bumper to eliminate any more cause to drag so I incorporated mine into the bumper. Note this is ONLY for pulling a towed. Don't have any idea about load carrying capacity.

The two large bolts tie it into the rear engine cross member.

View of the backside. I welded the stiffener on because the bumpers flex quite a bit.

View of how it's tied to cross member

Note that this is a Bluebird RE and has the dropped engine frame.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That's nicely done, somewhereinusa. My RE came to me with a similar setup.. but not nearly so well-executed. Somebody put a big piece of C channel behind the bumper, forming a box... with the hole for the hitch pin hidden inside. Some day I'll cut it all apart and make it more like yours.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
I have the same bus OP...I was searching around (for the same reasons...towing a speed machine to the track for proper road course slutting) and found someone that had, also the same bus, and they said this particular Ford off the shelf hitch worked. I have to find the thread.

Edit: Here is that thread

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/91-...tch-13927.html
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I put hitch on my thomas re... got one from the scrap yard out of the pile with correct width to attach to frame.. attachment to stamped bumper is not good idea unless another bar welded across it is there. twenty yrs ago, the first one i did, i only attached to the bumper... which was too light and bent while towing a cadillac... I generally tow large trailer or car on trlr now, so the weight is high.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I took Brunhilde to Ratco, a local hitch company. $832 to add and wire a hitch to the back end and done by people who know what they're doing.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
From eTrailer:

Hello, I have a 2002 Bluebird All American RE that I need a trailer hitch for. Trailer weight should not exceed 5000 lbs loaded. What do you recommend? Thank you
asked by: Stephen

Expert Reply:
For a school bus like your 2002 Bluebird All American RE you would need a universal hitch such as Curt # C13701. It can be bolted or welded on to box frames, C-channel frames, or I-beam frames that are between 18" and 51" wide. It is a Class III rated hitch with a maximum capacity of 5,000 lbs and maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs.

If your frame is wider than 51 inches, you would need to go with Curt # 13703, which fits frames that are between 22" and 72". This hitch will fit on box frames, C-channel frames, or I-beam frames, can be either welded or bolted on, is Class III rated and has a maximum capacity of 3,500 lbs with a maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs. It can only be used with RV-approved accessories, and all non-trailer loads such as cargo carriers would require the use of stabilizing straps # 18050.

I've included links to video reviews of each of these products for you to take a look at.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-247421.html?fb=yes
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Class 4 hitch on pusher bus?

I want to bump this thread in search of more information on what it takes to get a class 4 hitch on a pusher bus. Interested in hearing details about Thomas, Bluebird, or IC bus installs. I understand the engine is mounted on a subframe but I have no idea of how far back the main frame rails come, nor how heavily the subframes are engineered.
I want to be able to pull a dual axle car hauler with my Jeep on it. Actual tow weight will likely be closer to 5-6k but I would prefer to have 10k capacity for plenty of buffer and durability.
Snaketzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
10K is a lot of weight. The real problem is more than likely the tongue weight. Most of these rear pushers have rear sub frames bolted to the main frame. Will it be a problem? I don't know. I doubt that the manufacture will be of any help either. If one of these hitch installs ever fails it will be like the wood stoves and roof racks. Another excuse to drop skoolies. Proceed cautiously my friend.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:54 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has added a hitch to a rear-engined bus before. Specifically, a Thomas MVP-ER with a CAT 3126. There is a whole hell of a lot going on in the area where you'd mount a hitch, like the oil pan, motor mounts, and the frame is a bit complex around there too.

I found this hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-13703.html

I need to get up under it and do some measuring to make sure there is a clear space for this to bolt to, and to make sure it wouldn't sit too low. We are planning on pulling an open flat trailer with a SPEC E30 (BMW racecar) on it. Probably 4,500 lbs total. The hitch I linked is not rated for this weight, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a hitch that might fit that would be rated for this weight (Class IV?) or if I should look into getting a custom one welded up.

I found this nifty little device for making a trailer harness work:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Teko...FYi4wAody7oBMQ

Thanks!
I'm curious as to how this played out for you. I have a 2000 Thomas Saf t liner mvp er and looking at putting a hitch in the back to tow my family's Ford escape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote