Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60
Transmission cooler

Iv'e got a gas burning 366 G.M.C. with a 545 Allison transmissiom .I want to run a cooler outside my radiator so there is no chance of coolant getting in my transmission. I've done this many times on THM 350 and 400 but I'm not so sure it can be done on this beast. Would I be screwing with some kind of thermostatic control for the transmission if I did this? Russell

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Transmission cooler

most of the heat in an automatic is generated by the torque converter, it starts making heat as soon as you start the engine(sliping). IMO as long as the fluid is warm enough for the pump to fill the converter, you're good to go. check with your local NAPA parts house for the largest trans cooler they have, its sized for medium duty vehicles. I put one on my p/up when the factory external cooler failed about three years ago and have not had any issues with the trans being to cold.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Transmission cooler

Thanks for the information Paul , I wasn't sure if a outside cooler could be used with this transmission for fear of perhaps mess'n with a thermostatic control in the tranny its self, so I guess its off to the parts house, thanks again Russell.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote