Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
Boise To Atlanta

I bet my step son, in Boise, would be very happy to drive your car to my house 60 miles north of Atlanta. Other than a break down of the bus I expect he is capable of driving that, too.
You could even leave your bus at my place for a while if you wanted to. I don't know how far into Florida you're going. I'm a good 8 hours north of Ft. Myers where my Mother lives.
I'd buy a ticket for him to fly back to Boise after his visit.
I lived near Kuna in the south part of Meridian before I left for Georgia.
I'd have to ask him if you decide you are interested in his help.
Lots of options, even some I didn't mention. Let me know if you think of a good one I can help you out with.

GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
It's a long way to go

If your going to drive a 40 year old vehicle 2000 miles just enjoy it.

The advantage to towing your car is you'll have local transportation, it will slow you down though, just take your time.

Don't do it alone either, I'm sure if you post here you'll find someone willing to make the trek with you, maybe offer to fly them home.

Tires and brakes a major priority don't even think of leaving without inspection and replacement.
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
Almost There

I hate to be the onet to say this but financially the drive to Florida you will probably spend enough in gas That it would save you money with repairs and all to buy a new bus when you got to Florida there are a ton down there and if your at the first part (gutting) it sucks but it’s not anything you can’t start over. I just drove from NC to Colorado and I’m in a short bus it was not cheap to make the haul especially if your not saving money on hotels and cooking in the bus
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #24
Almost There

Damn Gary you are a rock
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
I do agree it would be cheaper to buy another bus in Florida. I only bid on buses that are relatively close to me because it's cheaper to buy one within 30 miles than have one sent 1000 miles by truck.
It takes a bit of patience but two of my buses I bought were within 15 miles, one was about 30 miles away.
It would be a different story if too much money and time was already spent on the conversion.
I did in fact drive my 1967 Bluebird school bus from the Boise, ID area to Georgia. I put on some new tires and off I went. The transmission wasn't perfect but good enough. That was 20 years ago.
GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lherrlinger View Post
I hate to be the onet to say this but financially the drive to Florida you will probably spend enough in gas That it would save you money with repairs and all to buy a new bus when you got to Florida there are a ton down there and if your at the first part (gutting) it sucks but it’s not anything you can’t start over. I just drove from NC to Colorado and I’m in a short bus it was not cheap to make the haul especially if your not saving money on hotels and cooking in the bus
I go as far from FL to buy buses as I can. Our buses are poorly maintained, low spec stuff with astronomical resale prices due to the dealers and exporters.

I got a bus in Colorado with new tires for $1760. Sold it for 5 grand a year later here in FL. Only took a week on CL.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross-country, shipping, transport