Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue bird
Engine: 427l Chevy
Send a message via MSN to dragonfly112
tranys

Was wondering if there was any way to check an automatic transmition out. I cant shift it into gear. I have air breaks the front work but I'm missing the air cans in the back so it never gets up to pressure. So are buses like any other car where your foot has to be on the break for it to go into gear? If I disconect the shift cable would I be able to move the shift lever on the tranny? There is also a small rubber hose on the drivers side back by the shift leaver that has been cut and I don't know where it's suposed to go!
This is on a 1988 Blue Bird with a 427l engin, not sure what kind of transmition.

dragonfly112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: tranys

Automatic transmission? I am not familiar with them in busses, but I know in cars you need the key on to shift out of park. Now I know that most bus transmissions don't have park, just neutral, but it may be the same. Just a thought...
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: tranys

Full-size buses shouldn't need the brake applied to shift into gear unless you have one of the newer models with a "Park" or "P-B" position on the shifter. Small cutaway buses on a van chassis do, as they use car-style transmissions. You mention air brakes so I presume you have a big bus.

It should be easy enough to go underneath and shift into gear manually. An 88 with a gas engine would most likely have an Allison AT540.