Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Almost There

Traveling USA to Costa Rica

Remember when I mentioned that I like to buy a bus travel to Costa Rica
and then one guy told me I will be lucky to arrive in one piece, which might or might not be true, I am not a fortune teller, his reasoning was how dangerous it is and the news are full of murdered travelers and kidnappings,

found this article to support his concern which does not mean something can happen: but I like to highlight, when this guy said one has to be stupid!

Drug trafficers, Highway robbers, and bears, oh my.
Of the areas getting bad press, we went through a lot of them. We crossed into Mexico through Nogales, and drove down Hwy 15 through Sonora, Sinaloa, biked our way through the Sierras to Chihuahua, before driving on to Nayarit and Jalisco.

The border areas have a particularly bad reputation. This is where pressure between the narco-trafficers and the police is highest. Since the police are easily corruptible, the military have been brought in, and you’ll see trucks of armed soldiers roving around in pickup trucks.

But while the battle is between the narco’s and the federales, you’d have to be unlucky or stupid to get in the middle. Don’t traffic drugs, and listen to the locals if they warn you not to go somewhere. In my time in Mexico I didn’t come across anyone who had run into this sort of trouble.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Skoolie

I think the trick to traveling through Mexico is number one knowing the language and number two even if you have money don't show it and be kind courteous and respectful. thank you
Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanchip View Post
I think the trick to traveling through Mexico is number one knowing the language and number two even if you have money don't show it and be kind courteous and respectful. thank you
speaking the language helps, but is not necessary

showing money, is the dumbest thing one can do anywhere in the world
those times have past long ago,
who does not know yet, lives in a BOX or in the Himalayan mountains and never left
Old 05-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
So go for it, and post up some nice pics for us.
You don't need us to tell you whats up, man, just do it.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Skoolie

I love that video it makes me a little uncomfortable but it's funny
Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Skoolie

That would be an interesting trip hopefully you have air ride and a Shortbus I just spent a week in Costa Rica and if you don't want to take the long way around everything there are shortcuts but the roads get Steep and narrow , a hairpin turn occasionally or driving through a shallow river can save you hours of driving.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
I love that video it makes me a little uncomfortable but it's funny
Me too, man, me too. My boss was TOTALLY inspired by it, like, it changed his life!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
Remember when I mentioned that I like to buy a bus travel to Costa Rica
and then one guy told me I will be lucky to arrive in one piece, which might or might not be true, I am not a fortune teller, his reasoning was how dangerous it is and the news are full of murdered travelers and kidnappings,

found this article to support his concern which does not mean something can happen: but I like to highlight, when this guy said one has to be stupid!

Drug trafficers, Highway robbers, and bears, oh my.
Of the areas getting bad press, we went through a lot of them. We crossed into Mexico through Nogales, and drove down Hwy 15 through Sonora, Sinaloa, biked our way through the Sierras to Chihuahua, before driving on to Nayarit and Jalisco.

The border areas have a particularly bad reputation. This is where pressure between the narco-trafficers and the police is highest. Since the police are easily corruptible, the military have been brought in, and you’ll see trucks of armed soldiers roving around in pickup trucks.

But while the battle is between the narco’s and the federales, you’d have to be unlucky or stupid to get in the middle. Don’t traffic drugs, and listen to the locals if they warn you not to go somewhere. In my time in Mexico I didn’t come across anyone who had run into this sort of trouble.
Yeah Go for it. We all have our opinions. Tell us how it went.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to El Salvador due to the high rates of crime and violence. El Salvador has one of the highest homicide levels in the world and crimes such as extortion, assault and robbery are common. This replaces the Travel Warning for El Salvador dated January 15, 2016.

Gang activity is widespread in El Salvador. There are thousands of gang members operating in the country, including members of Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) and Eighteenth Street (M1. Gangs (maras) focus on extortion, violent street crime, narcotics and arms trafficking. Muggings following ATM or bank withdrawals are common, as are armed robberies at scenic-view stops (miradores). While the majority of the violence occurs between rival gangs and there is no information to suggest U.S. citizens are specifically targeted, its pervasiveness increases the chance of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Due to armed robberies in national parks, we strongly recommend that hikers in back country areas engage local guides certified by the national or local tourist authority. The National Civilian Police (PNC) has a special tourist police force (POLITUR) to provide security and assistance to visitors. opc orn:: popcorn:opco rn: opcorn:

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
That would be an interesting trip hopefully you have air ride and a Shortbus I just spent a week in Costa Rica and if you don't want to take the long way around everything there are shortcuts but the roads get Steep and narrow , a hairpin turn occasionally or driving through a shallow river can save you hours of driving.
man?? you talk one thing and wish for an other, I live in Costa Rica for quite some time, if I have a bus I go where bus go, if I have a 4x4 one can go where bus cant go..and if I have a bike total different ball game again, you can not order a hamburger and expecting buabez.
So much ppl go without airride so what's the deal
and this was not about Airride nor about hairpin corners its about that ppl do it without getting kidnapped or killed, one member was making a point here a while ago.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
Skoolie

10-4 enjoy your travels
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Me too, man, me too. My boss was TOTALLY inspired by it, like, it changed his life!
I think I'm going to watch that video every morning for the next week...
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yeah Go for it. We all have our opinions. Tell us how it went.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to El Salvador due to the high rates of crime and violence. El Salvador has one of the highest homicide levels in the world and crimes such as extortion, assault and robbery are common. This replaces the Travel Warning for El Salvador dated January 15, 2016.

Gang activity is widespread in El Salvador. There are thousands of gang members operating in the country, including members of Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) and Eighteenth Street (M1. Gangs (maras) focus on extortion, violent street crime, narcotics and arms trafficking. Muggings following ATM or bank withdrawals are common, as are armed robberies at scenic-view stops (miradores). While the majority of the violence occurs between rival gangs and there is no information to suggest U.S. citizens are specifically targeted, its pervasiveness increases the chance of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Due to armed robberies in national parks, we strongly recommend that hikers in back country areas engage local guides certified by the national or local tourist authority. The National Civilian Police (PNC) has a special tourist police force (POLITUR) to provide security and assistance to visitors. opc orn:: popcorn:opco rn: opcorn:
hahahaha hiking in mexico..dont you have your own country to hike..and this is not about OPINION this is about experience
Opinions have nothing to do with a trip on a bus at least for me
Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
Bus Nut

8 yr old assassins. This is HONDURAS.

https://assolution.com/blog/staying-...sula-honduras/

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Enough of your fear mongering. We don't need thread-shitters here. I could find ten blogs about how the US is more violent and deadly than South America, I don't have the time. You need to seriously re-evaluate your own life if all you have is negative interactions and experiences with people from other countries. America... come for the illusion of freedom and equality... Stay for the unfounded fear and bigotry... Somebody needs to upload a middle finger emoji just for this guy...
Old 05-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'd drive down there in a heartbeat. Sounds like fun. Safety is common sense.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Enough of your fear mongering. We don't need thread-shitters here. I could find ten blogs about how the US is more violent and deadly than South America, I don't have the time. You need to seriously re-evaluate your own life if all you have is negative interactions and experiences with people from other countries. America... come for the illusion of freedom and equality... Stay for the unfounded fear and bigotry... Somebody needs to upload a middle finger emoji just for this guy...

Eat **** jayhawker. I am from Mo. Come on over if you are tougher than your mouth.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
--deleted--
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Leave the stars and bars out of this.
Each person has there own opinions and ideas on many things but the man asked about Costa Rica. If that's where he wants to go or be with a skoolie then we should give him our support on his journey without politics.
Our travels and experience is all the man is asking for.
Isn't that what we are all here for?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Leave the stars and bars out of this.
Each person has there own opinions and ideas on many things but the man asked about Costa Rica. If that's where he wants to go or be with a skoolie then we should give him our support on his journey without politics.
Our travels and experience is all the man is asking for.
Isn't that what we are all here for?
I couldn't agree more, especially about the stars and bars.
Closed Thread