Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
TV Antennas & Digital broadcast

I was reading some very technical posts on here regarding tv antennas and frequencies, UHF, VHF, analog, digital, etc.. etc.. But the question I have is quite simple.

I'm not a big tv watcher. Would rather pop in a movie than deal with 15 minutes of programming and 10 minutes of commercials. But I do want to have the capability to put on local channels.

I plan on getting a TV/DVD combo. My area made the transition to mostly digital. Can I just buy a RV digital antenna like the one from Stark. Mount it on the roof, plug the cable into the TV and get local reception? (assuming the area has a strong signal). Do I need a converter box?

Also, does anyone have a external cable tv jack for campground hookup mounted on the side of their skoolie? Any pics?

Dan

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Re: TV Antennas & Digital broadcast

So you mean I need to get a digital converter box also?

Or would a digital ready tv work?
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: TV Antennas & Digital broadcast

You dont need a special antenna, my ancient Winegard RV antenna pulls in 13 channels in my driveway, only 2 channels in the house with a pair of interior Terks shotgunned. Digital antenna? Like the amplifier circuits know any difference in the signals they receive? Malarkey! A more modern antenna might do the job a little better, but my "AWACS" looking piece of history drags in signal just fine.

If you have a "modern TV" capable of digital broadcasts, no converter box will be required. If you hook up and nothing comes in, you know you dont have a "modern TV".

I enjoy my 19 inch LCD with built in DVD player. Be sure to wire a cable inlet and a cable switch so you can hook up to on site cable where it is offered.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote