Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
Bus Nut

a/c

I have finished my installation of the a/c in a cabinet inside the bus. This cabinet is sealed and insulated where the unit is, upper half is storage. There is an exhaust duct to the outside that also will drain condensation. The space around the unit serves as an intake plenum that draws from the outside as well. There is a louver on the outside for intake and exhaust. I got a 12000btu unit on clearance at wal-mart for $179. Seems to work quite well so far, but I haven't taken a trip with it yet. I have posted pics of this setup in the gallery (Big Blue) Check it out, any feedback good or bad will be appreciated.

Brad
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Very nicely done! Looks like a clean, well thought out installation. I hope it cools the way you planned!

I'm curious about the louvred panel. The louvered duct on the original vented heater in my bus had a much smaller louvre pattern that allowed a lot of wind & water to blow in (until I blocked it off & went unvented), how much wind/water proofing will your louvre provide? I'm not sure if I'm asking this clearly, but is there a difference in the angle of louvres, or how far one rises up behind the other that helps prevent this type of weather intrusion?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Nice job on the install. Sure beats the high price of the roof warts, it also looks much better.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Thanks for the input guys, it's nice to get a little positive reinforcement once in a while. The louvers are of a design we use for architectural sheet metal installations, look at big louvers on large commercial buildings and you will notice the similarities. I have been in mechanical rooms with entire wall made of these louvres while it has poured rain and nothing comes in. That's why I used this design. Each louvre extends up behind the other by the size of the lip, 1/2 inch in this case. To get a direct path through, it would take an upward angle of about 15 degrees. As far as rain splash, they are situated as such that a rather angular rain will only hit about the bottom half of each blade, to splash all the way in it will have to travel all the way up and over the 1/2 inch vertical lip at the top of each blade. So, as long as you don't shoot the garden hose in them, they are weatherproof. l
Old 08-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #15
Bus Nut

I forgot to mention wind intrusion. The cabinet is sealed from the inside of the bus, so wind can will only blow into the a/c intake (no problem) or exhaust if it's not running (no problem either)
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
COOL! (Literally & figuratively)