Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
underbody storge boxs

I made my storage box for my propane tanks, and storage, but when I was doing some net surfing I found these fiberglass storage boxes for school buses, there nice but worth to much money, but nice, have the price list, but I can't copy it, the single door one is $795.00
http://www.builtrightutilitybodies.com/ ... sboxes.htm
gbstewart

Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: underbody storge boxs

I think we could build our own fiberglass boxes, once we get out of the campgrounds. I have an old Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction book that I picked up at a library used book sale. It has a lot of info on how to fiberglass using the West System Epoxy ("a versatile, 2-part, marine-grade epoxy that bonds and coats fiberglass, wood, metal, fabrics and other composite materials to provide superior strength and moisture resistance"). I found this system back when we had the Eagle 05. After much research, I decided the West System would be what I used when we built the "Fiberglass on Plywood Tanks" holding tanks for the Eagle. But we dumped the Eagle and ended up with the Blue Bird. We already had a couple of ABS Rocket tanks and then we got the bargain RV waste tanks so the Fiberglass on Plywood idea got shelved. And then I ran across the book. So I just picked it up as a "just in case future reference" book For like $1 or $2 dollars (hard to remember since I bought about $25 worth of books - and I bought a LOT of books that day). Great reading. But after doing much research on buying ready built underbelly storage boxe$$, I'm back to thinking West System on a substrate again. The Gougeon Brothers book is all about building a boat but the techniques would be similar. They are the ones who developed the West System. Once we get our own place, we can build a couple of forms and fiberglass our little hearts out.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Re: underbody storge boxs

I found a used electrical (watertight) contactor box for my under bus storage. Sort of hard to find actual watertight instead of the standard (rainproof).
My brother swears by the West sytem epoxy stuff.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #4

Just seeing this now, but there is a bus junkyard in Newcomerstown, Ohio. They have tons of stuff. We got an AC unit for $200. We bought some underbus boxes for around a couple hundred depending on the size, had a local steel shop make us some insane hook mounts.
jlang is offline   Reply With Quote