Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
Bus Nut

The problems I've seen (and dealt with) parking on grass/lawn is that where the grass grows up and touches the underside of the frame, it starts to rust faster in those areas. (I think the grass holds dew and moisture.) Get a thick enough "wall" of grass around the edge of the vehicle, and it also prevents airflow under the vehicle - holding in moisture. So what parts of a vehicle are thinner metal, and hang down low? The break lines!

It didn't happen overnight, and it's not like the grass was the only cause, but I've seen it happen once or twice before where trucks parked on grass were worse off then cars parked on pavement.

So I"d say to "fix" it, just cut the grass under the parking space first, and keep it trimmed around the edges every now and then.

Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
Not misinformed, experienced. With the exception of overgrown grass in a very humid climate I fail to see it's effect on rust. I have seen vehicles that have been sitting in the weeds for years with no ill effects. I have also seen vehicles parked on gravel rusted away. I think it has more to do with the protection of the metal and the presence of corrosives like salt than grass. However please explain how grass can enhance rust formation. Maybe there is some chemical in the grass that we haven't considered.

Grass turf isn't the only thing at play in rusting vehicles. Long term parking cannot be good on turf because of the dew forming every night, at least up here when the sun isn't as hot as other areas.
Heck mine rust in the driveway on gravel because they were not undercoated or protected every year with undercarriage oiling. A pretty hard thing to defeat totally so I don't worry about them rusting. Fix what needs to be fixed before it is a problem, ie, brake lines, rotors

Every lawnmower and lawntractor I own is rusting so what does that tell you.

I don't care to live in a desert so it is a tradeoff I guess.
Park where you want then guys, but move, drive these vehicles regularly for proper air drying.

John
Old 10-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeliques View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the skoolie world and looking to purchase a short bus. I have already converted a 1993 Chevy van, so I understand most of the issues when it comes to dealing with these old vehicles. But since I'm not familiar with buses specifically and haven't looked at very many, I wanted to get some opinions on the acceptable amount of rust underneath.

I'm looking to live full time in the bus for at least a year, possibly two, but I don't need it to last me forever. I won't be doing any cold weather stuff so hopefully it won't have to see snow again.

Bus specs:
1997 Chevy 3500 Short School Bus
Asking price: $2,150
Automatic, Gas engine
127, 000 miles
Runs well, appears mechanically sound
Current inspection - until 5/19
Exact size I'm looking for, already has the school bus lights and everything removed. It has been registered as a truck.

I am just worried about the amount of rust underneath. Any opinions are appreciated!
Unless you can get it for pennies on the dollar, walk away and don't look back.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #24

Does my bus have too much rust?

Is this too much rust? Just purchased this 2002 e450 bus and this rust is scaring me a bit
Attached Thumbnails
20191023_135518.jpg   20191023_135403.jpg   20191023_135603.jpg   20191023_135707.jpg  
Srkelly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srkelly20 View Post
Is this too much rust? Just purchased this 2002 e450 bus and this rust is scaring me a bit

IMHO - Pics 1,2 & 4, no worries to me, surface rust, Spray some Osho or rust reformer with a spray bottle. I would probably give it two good treatments. Might be a good idea to repeat once a year just to stay on top of things.

Pic # 3 looks like you might have to cut and weld. Doesn't look like too much.

If that's all you got for rust...not too bad..

IMHO....
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Parking on grass,dirt or gravel, will cause rust underneath an unoiled or otherwise unprotected/uncoated undercarriage.
Mainly because of moisture from the warmer ground condensating into colder air causing the rust.

Long story short: I learned the hard way when I mistakenly parked a rust free Chevy Monza wagon from Nevada in my backyard at least 100' from salty winter roads, and after 3 years of "sitting", the floors were like Swiss cheese and most of the underside brake and fuel lines were junk!

Even parking on pavement won't completely prevent it, it'll just take a bit longer.

If you only have an unpaved surface to park on, thick poly sheeting or a poly, (not canvas), tarp underneath the vehicle front to back helps, but I would suggest moving it after the winter if possible.

A rolling stone gathers no moss...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
the grass will stop growing after a few weeks and as far as the rust, it looks sorta bad, seen and repaired worse so maybe keep it for a couple years and then turn the problem over to someone else.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, conversion, rust, underbody