Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65
ups batteries

i wonder if these might be useful for a battery bank?

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/state, ... auc=815373

proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: ups batteries

They weight 1668lbs. each. Thats a lot of weight for a battery box......
Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

i think the weight is for the UPS rack as well as a bunch of individual batteries. i would probably just use some of the batteries. if the pallet goes for cheap im wondering if it might be worth it.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

After re reading it I think the weight is total for pallet....... Shipping cost along would defer me...
it says input 200-240 volts? and then 120 VDC 7.2 Ah.........

I am wondering what size each battery is? How many volts?
I'm thinking you might end up with some batteries that you cannot use..????

Me I would pass and just buy some jel-cell batteries..... The Air Force sell their jel cells after 2 years of use... bad or good.
I bought 2 for my boat and never had a battery problem.......
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
The Air Force sell their jel cells after 2 years of use
Where might one buy such a thing? Do you need to be near an air base?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Well? Good question......

My son was in the Air Force at the time and he picked then up for me at the base ..... $20.00 apiece.
I never did ask any questions.....
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

UPS batteries actually don't last very long. They are made for use in a temperature controlled environment as well. That's not to say that you can't use them if you get a bunch of them thrown at you, but I think you'd be better off with purchasing a deep cycle automotive/marine type battery instead.

Do you know if they are used? In Canada you have to pay to get rid of them, and they are usually changed out on a 2 - 3 year cycle.
TourTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

UPS batteries "don't last long" in UPS service because they are usually stressed by high currents. In the case of the one label in the photos, it is also from using a string of undersized batteries, choosing portability over run time.

I use selected large UPS pulls at low current for a long time. I can power a camper carefully on one 12-volt pull for a couple of days of boondocking without recharging. If you had the ability to test the individual batteries and find good and matched ones off of the pallet, it might be good to pick through the lot, and then sell the rest to a recycler for the materials.

HOWEVER, the photos of this lot show at least some of the batteries with four vents per case. That would mean this particular bunch of batteries that are visible would likely be 8 volts each (2 volts per cell). Great for making 24-volt strings, for 12 volts not so much. The UPS spec shown is 120 volts DC, 7.2 AH. The 120 volts would be fifteen 8-volt batteries in series. 7.2 AH is a pathetically small number. That means that each battery is probably 8 volts, 7.2 AH. You could parallel battery strings to get more AH of storage. But there seem to be several UPS units and a mix of battery sizes on the pallet, so the photos and specs may be a mish-mash.

The pulls I have are 12 volts 140 AH each, removed from a 288-volt system, but 100 AH or 120 AH is more common. You may also find UPS strings made up of 6-volt batteries (3-cell) or 2-volt single cells instead. These can be wired in series to get the desired DC voltages. The capacities of deep-cycle designs are usually specified at the 20C rate (100 AH = 5 amps for 20 hours), but I have seen a few batteries rated at 10C (100AH = 10 amps for 10 hours). If you draw more than standard current, you will get less than rated amp-hours out. If you draw less than standard current, you will get more than the rated AH to full discharge.

Also, sealed batteries cannot take the higher charging voltages that wet cells can. A bus alternator could kill these without some kind of voltage control. The limit is usually 13.5 charging volts on a 6-cell, 12 volt battery string. If you overcharge them to the point that they vent gas, the capacity is permanently lost. You can't just add distilled water to fill it back up like a wet cell.

Done right, UPS pulls can be an inexpensive option for assembling large-capacity battery plants. But using them is not just as simple as hooking up car batteries. And you should have some means of testing the remaining capacity of each battery to weed out failing cells.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote