Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: USF Scoolie HELP more power DT-466 swap???

Having driven the Badlands (both North and South Dakota) as well as up to Mt. Rushmore I hate to say it, but I think you're wishing for something that might just not be possible. My bus has 185 hp and 474 ft lbs of torque. I would imagine your DT360 would have slightly more or perhaps about the same amount of power. Pulling far less bus and no trailer up to Mt Rushmore and I was topping out at about 25-30 which was plenty fast for me.

However, if you wanted to make some more power it is pretty easy on that rig. Just remember that fully loaded with people, full tanks, and that trailer you might be pushing the limits of what that Allison wants to do and bumping the power up isn't going to make things any better.

http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm

Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: USF Scoolie HELP more power DT-466 swap???

More power might help because you might be able to hold a higher gear, but you're going to have to watch temps. High EGT's are going to cook a turbo and put a hole in a piston. High trans temps and you're going to be looking at a rebuild. The real pain is that it's not something you'll be able to see happening fast. An EGT over 1300-1400 degrees probably isn't going to up and destroy an engine, just as a tranny running at 240* isn't going to up and die on the spot. Instead it is all long term expensive damage.

I guess if it were me I'd just leave an hour earlier and deal with it. The only other option I can see that goes beyond a band aid fix would be to upgrade the vehicle. A toterhome with a 5th wheel is going to have a much higher output engine and an OTR transmission....but you're going to pay and lose on interior space.