Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66pax
Using all 8 warning lights at once

I'll be getting another bus very soon and will be replacing the amber and red warning flasher lenses with clear ones (salvaged from the rear ends of other buses). Does anyone know if there's a way to wire up the flashers so that there is a steady beam on all 8 lights at once? I've seen some of the Puerto Rican guys accomplish this with LEDs, but I'm hoping it is possible with the original incandescent lights as well.

CincinnatiNKYBuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the wires for the warning loghts likely go to a yellow controller box inside your switch panel.. many times these are labelled.. you can simply pull the wires off there and hook them to switches and circuit breakers..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
Mine

I have a 1990 int 3700, it has 14 or 16 ga wire for the lights, when I put white lenses and turned them on the wire got hot quick, you may need bigger wire or some leds
bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Yeah, those 8-way lights are pretty intense for obvious reasons but weren't wired with the intent to burn constantly. As much as I've contemplated repurposing them as brake and turn indicators, I just fear there's too much unanticipated repercussions and prolly just swap for LEDs or cover over them entirely. But I like where your head is in reuse of what's already there.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
For the same reason, I repurposed my rear 8-ways to duplicate the functions of the S/T/T ones below. I went with 8 red LED's since my turn signals were already red, and I wired them all for tail lights (I want maximum possible visibility from the back). Since LED's draw very little power, I disconnected the 8-way wiring and tapped into the existing S/T/T wiring.

Some states, I think WI is one, will require the lights to be completely removed and the openings plated over. Some will be satisfied with painting over the lights and some don't care (as long as the 8-way function is disabled/removed and cannot be used.) The previous 55 watt (?) bulbs draw a lot of power and will have a pretty high intensity (about the same as your high-beams), which may be a bit blinding at night to other drivers.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66pax
Thanks for the replies. I was concerned about battery draw with 8 lights on all at once, but I hadn't considered the wiring. Looks like LEDs would be my best bet if I were to repurpose the lights.

I'm fairly certain that Ohio does not allow 8-ways to be used (like any other state) but doesn't mandate their actual removal. They are more concerned with making sure that the bus is no more than 20% yellow.

(As a side note, I'd be curious to see what buses with light-up "School Bus" signs have in terms of wiring for that sign. Pretty sure many of those signs on older buses were lit by 4x 55-watt bulbs. Stronger wiring?)
CincinnatiNKYBuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Some states, I think WI is one, will require the lights to be completely removed and the openings plated over.
Yes they don’t even allow lights to be painted over here. They have to be completely gone.

I used sheet metal screwed/JB welded from inside the bus and will be applying body filler in the spring on the outside of the bus in the light holes so it will look like they were never there.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote