Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Using seat foam for insulation??

Won't say you couldn't but R value would be hard to peg down but I would guess it at about 2-5 an inch. These seats are treated for fire to make them fire retardent but I don't know when the manufacturers started to do this. Would make for a ton of cutting and fitting though. I would make sure you have a very non-permeable building envelope though because if you get water in that stuff I think you will find it will mould. Might be good to do some R-value testing with it. I made some cushions some time ago and cut the foam with a band saw which worked decent unitl too much foam got on the drive belt and burned it out, so beware.

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin

I have heard that using an electric turkey knife is good for foam. I use just a basic (but freshly sharpened) chef's knife to cut foam.

I use the styrofoam board for the walls, though. They won't absorb moisture like the open cell foam in the seats will.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: International DT466
Rated Cap: 72

I was considering doing the same for the ceiling, but mounting part of the pad and the pleather to a plywood base ( 2'x3'?)and attaching it to the ceiling, creating a pleated look. Hopefully it would provide some insulation because Ive got the cieling of ten-thousand holes, releasing my heat to the sky. I've seen someone's front ceiling done this way on here. For the floor, your best bet might be the closed cell board, Its a heck of a lot easier and less time consuming x10. Has anyone thought of other uses (or actually used) for the padding. If so, let us know! What other applications CAN the seat foam be used for?
TikiBus is offline   Reply With Quote