Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6V92
Using wiring from flashing red lights for powering LED spots.

Currently my bus is gutted and I'm trying to do some wiring, etc before include stuff in. So I bought some LED spotlights I'd like to mount to the back of "The Summah Bus" to use for backing up, lighting for the rear camera (while not driving off course), etc.

Ideally, I'd like to control them from the switches at the deiver's seat and the easiest "unused" switch it the red flashers switch. I unhooked the wires from the back of the red flashers (they are painted over on the outside) and hooked up my new LED spotlight... and it works!!! ... The same way red flashers do... .

So my question is: is there a way to make the lights not flash? I don't know enough about electrical (but I'm trying to learn) to know what to do. Is it something back at the control panel by the driver's seat that makes them regulate flashing on and off?

I could use a "heat pump" switch and wires for power, but it doesn't reach all the way back and since in planning on mounting the spots right next to the old red lights in the back, I though these wires would be perfect.

Any suggestions?

lanegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
There should be a flasher relay somewhere in the dash area. Back in the 80's I found mine by turning on the flashers and listening for the clicking sound. Alternatively, trace the wire back to the panel (yes, I know that's easier said than done).

It may be easier to just run a new wire from the switch back to the lights.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6V92
If I find that can I cut out the relay and twist the wires back together?
lanegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
That depends on how the relay is mounted. If it's mounted to a fuse box it'll be hard to find which wires go to it. If it's inline with the wire that will be easier.

A relay works by using a low power circuit to trigger a higher power circuit. That lets the manufacturer use an inexpensive switch. When you flip the switch the low power side closes the contacts on the high power side. That means the relay will have two hot wires coming into it.

If your LED lights are low draw units you may be able to bypass the relay and connect the switch circuit directly to the lights.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
I think most busses have an 8way flasher. It is a unit that controls the flashing on the amber and red lights, as well as the stop sign and the stop sign lights. That unit controls the flashing so you would want to trace your wires to that unit and bypass it. My bus has all of the wires with separate numbers printed on them so it makes it easy to trace the wires.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i-...bus-12296.html
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back lights, red flashing lights, switches