Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
WELL? It's a done deal now. I've paid the money and the Prevost is mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhutwarrior View Post
Check the bag mounts on the prevost, they are known to rot then the repair gets expensive.
For the asking price of $6000, I figured the bus would have some pretty serious issues. ...and it does. I now know that it needs bags in the rear. Yes, I am planning on doing the bags myself. I have found at least one blog where the procedure is described. I have also already found a source for the tools.

I got the Prevost home today. It went right in my driveway like it was made for it. I wasn't expecting that.

I keep comparing it to the old Bluebird pusher I used to drive when I was driving the kids to and from school. I call it my BB but really, it belonged to the school. There are a number of similarities between it and the Prevost but they are most certainly very different machines. When I was driving the schoolie, I was taught the proper way to make right turns without killing any kids standing on the curb. That lesson came flooding back as soon as I made my first right turn. Yay!

OMG, the Prevost is SUPER quiet. I can barely hear the engine running but conversations from the driver's seat are at the same level as they are in my living room at home.

My old Bluebird did not have a Jake brake but the Prevost does. One the way home, I went down near Riverside drive in Clarksville, TN and I had to go down a seriously steep hill. Love that Jake Brake. LOVE IT!

This Prevost also has an air-ride seat. I'm not sure I like it. Hmmm. It's way more bouncy than I think it should be.

The engine is a Detroit. I still don't know the model number but I do know that it is a turbo-charged six cylinder. Compared to my old Bluebird, it's an absolute ROCKET! It's so quiet and so smooth that I found myself going WAY too fast in traffic. I had to really watch my speedometer and force myself to NOT pay attention the the seat-of-the-pants feel because it is SO deceptive.

The Allison trans is a six-speed.

Well... I'm extremely happy with my find. I know I have a lot of work to do and also a lot to learn. But I'm excited about learning and enthusiastic about doing the work.

I don't know how to post photos yet but I did put another photo of the Prevost in my Four For Sale album.

WoodenYouKnowIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats! Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Prevost are extremely well built and made to go many miles. Here's hoping yours does just that. Will be fun to watch the build out.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
congrats and good luck

The air seat should be adjustable from bouncy soft to firm.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #24
Almost There

Forgot to add, make sure the tag axles are good. Blown bags can come from the suspension on the tags not being par.
Good luck and be safe under there. You can never have too much blocking.

PS, Make friends with the lead mech at the nearest charter house. The are usually easy with the info and advice.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhutwarrior View Post
PS, Make friends with the lead mech at the nearest charter house. The are usually easy with the info and advice.
Great advice.

When I converted my Eagle I hooked up with a local charter operation that had several Eagles.

I got plenty of good advice from the drivers and mechanics. They were also my go-to shop for repairs.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenYouKnowIt View Post
[SIZE="5"]I got the Prevost home today.
Congratulations!!

No doubt there is a huge difference between a bus and a coach. Of course, all those positives come with some negatives but if you are prepared for them you'll be in good shape.

As already mentioned, a 'good' shop that deals primarily with coaches is a very good thing. I've used a non-coach shop once or twice and it has been all guess work by them.

My best advice?? Wear your pedometer when working on it. I find it common to be outside near the engine and need a tool. 45' to the front, into the coach, 45' to the back to to get the tool, 45' to the front door, 45' back to the engine. I quickly get my daily mileage taken care of!!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote