Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Very confused....need help

I have looked at so many posts where this person has this insurance and that person has that insurance company. I have called Proggresive commercial because I have seen several people have them for their bus. I have been told there is no way anyone has them. I have done the same with State Farm, Geico, All state and several other companies. If there are people on here that have gotten coverage for their bus after they buy it and while they are converting how is it that I call and someone says never in the history of the world has this company done that , it's not possible ever they say. I say that there are so many people with conversions that are insured thru their company and they say that's impossible. Please help me as to how you have insurance. What did you say. Is there a certain thing or regulation I need to quote. I have State Farm for my house and car right now and originally thought that after my purchase they would cover the ride home but was told since its a bus no they wouldn't. A car yes, bus no. But yet others have said it's covered no matter what for anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks. Is there a regulation that says that. I just really need some help and understanding with this because I am set to go buy this bus in the next few days and need to find some kind of insurance. Please give me any specifics so I can get this done. Just need insurance from Indiana to Missouri, so I can convert it at home. If I have to keep it that's ok I will , but if I can just get short term while I convert that's ok too. At this point any insurance will do. Again. Thanks everyone.

mastervsdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
insurance is very much by state.. I am one who has progressive commercial.. when you call them (dont go online).. it is a commercial-vehicle-for-personal-use policy for a BUS! not a Converted bus, not an RV, a BUS (because thats what it is until you convert it).. its possible that they wont insure personal busses in missouri..

once progressive hears you are going to convert you will be denied.. so its for simply a BUS and they dont need to know any more.. once you have it converted and it meets RV requirements for some of the RV insurers and then they will insure it..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
X2 what the kid said!

Also, please don't go alerting the insurance companies like that. The next thing you know, they'll change their policy and nobody will get insurance ever again.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 71
I to am about to cross this bridge, so I just called my life long agent and he informed me this is the process.
Go find your bus.
call me and give me the VIN#
drive it home.
minimum school bus policy is 6mo. for Liability $175
depending on what you do to it in your driveway will determine the new title classification. once you meet the requirements and get it re-titled then call me back and we write a new policy to cover " NOT a BUS" but what ever the state decides to call it.
I have an independent dealer and I heard him mention progressive....
Megabea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I am through nationwide and am insured and registered as a bus for private use on a commercial policy for 150-60 every 6-months.
Other SKOOLIE friends in NC have had the same problems in there area of the state even there local nationwide agent? but when I give them my agents number and they call mine then they are covered?
Good luck.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #6

Just got quote

Thanks so very much "cadillackid", you were 100 percent correct. I called progressive commercial and told them I needed coverage for a bus for personal use , which I do, and that the seats are out, which they will be when coverage is there , and it's not converted into anything right now. They gave me a quote right then. The agent just asked if there was any living quarters in it , which there isn't right now. She said if I do wanna do that later then just let them know so I will have the correct insurance. So again everything was up front and honest cause like you said it's a bus now and will be a bus untill I have it converted and that will take me some time. But this gives me coverage to have from now untill then. Btw I went with quarterly payments that made my payments around 40 a month with the higher limits I set in place. I am very much ok with those payments. Again thank you for the great advice. Now I see that every time I mentioned conversion they said no. After it's converted my state farm guy said he will cover it as an rv so I am excited and will be going to pick it up next weekend. Thanks everyone.
mastervsdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

great. its awesome when a plan comes together.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek

that was the lady when o got my insurance.. (its a BUS right?).. yep! an old school bus!..

and in my case both of my busses are Busses.. the red one has all of its seats.. and probably always will.. or at leasst some type of seats even if i change them out to fancier seats.

my DEV has some seats.. but no bed.. I have an air mattress i throw on the floor in that one if i need to nap on a road trip.. no different than someone might do with their pickup truck.. toss an air mattress in the bed with a cap..

so they have no issues with me ..
full coverage on TWO busses (comp , collision, liability, uninsured motorist, etc) for about $900 a year
-Christopher
Old 10-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #9
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

so they have no issues with me ..
full coverage on TWO busses (comp , collision, liability, uninsured motorist, etc) for about $900 a year
-Christopher
But where does ALL that money GO???
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Where does it go? It's insurance it goes to people who can't drive for crap..
are you guys saying I shouldn't insure the buses?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Where does it go? It's insurance it goes to people who can't drive for crap..
are you guys saying I shouldn't insure the buses?
Insurance is required.
If there were a way out of that I'd have found it!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #13
Bus Geek

not really.. im a believer in it.. it paid out nicely when my 86 got destroyed.. (the guys that started the fire had improper insurance.. mine covered) same as when the Dumbass blew a light downtown and totalled my camaro.. and was uninsured(was illegal and skipped town).. not to mention the stoned trucker that blew a stop sign ... I smacked him in the drive axles with a cadi i spent 2 years resto-modding.. got a great pay out from his insurance on that one..

I carry good insurance because in a lot of cases others dont have it.. plus if / when I do make a mistake or end up in a bad situation i want to make sure my arse is covered..

-Christopher
Old 10-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
I was very lucky with my insurance.
My local state farm agent insured my bus on the spot knowing I was going to convert it.
Little did I know, immediately after granting my policy the under writers excluded any future bus conversion vehicles.
So, my limited mileage 1,000 per year $256 per year insurance rated at the purchase value of my bus is grandfathered in.
I am afraid what will happen when I try bump up the insured value to what I have in the bus once, it is completed.
We will see!
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

yea, i agree with having good coverage, i never go with out coverage of some type...to the point my wife just pointed out to me that we are still carrying a policy on a 2001 yamaha 125 breeze that we no longer own geeze-louise why can't i keep up?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I currently only have liability on the bus- $500K. I think my premiums are like $120/yr.

If it's gone/wrecked, c'est la vie. CYA insurance, I guess.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote