Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 26
Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
Very high excise tax bill

Today I received my first excise tax bill since registering my bus earlier this year. I was shocked that it was for $700.00 dollars, but I figured it was a clerical error. When I called my town to check it out they said it was definitely accurate and that the assessment was based on $25 dollars per $1000 dollars of value. I said to them that if I owe this amount it would mean they're assessing my bus at $30,000.00 dollars. They said they don't handle assessments, and that I'd have to call the RMV.

The RMV told me the assessment was accurate and that they based it off the fact that my 1999 International was purchased for 300,000.00 new, and that the assessment goes down from 50% of original value to the lowest amount of 10% of original value and that's the lowest it will ever go. Therefore I will always have to pay $700.00 per year excise tax.

Has anyone else had a similar excise bill, or is this only in Taxachusetts?
Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summ1 View Post
Today I received my first excise tax bill since registering my bus earlier this year. I was shocked that it was for $700.00 dollars, but I figured it was a clerical error. When I called my town to check it out they said it was definitely accurate and that the assessment was based on $25 dollars per $1000 dollars of value. I said to them that if I owe this amount it would mean they're assessing my bus at $30,000.00 dollars. They said they don't handle assessments, and that I'd have to call the RMV.

The RMV told me the assessment was accurate and that they based it off the fact that my 1999 International was purchased for 300,000.00 new, and that the assessment goes down from 50% of original value to the lowest amount of 10% of original value and that's the lowest it will ever go. Therefore I will always have to pay $700.00 per year excise tax.

Has anyone else had a similar excise bill, or is this only in Taxachusetts?
$300k new, in 1999?

Did they show you the invoice?

They have made a mistake.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oberlin, Kansas
Posts: 1,380
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
They made a HUGE mistake! School buses are worth, at BEST $70K NEW this year! Go to your local Thomas, BlueBird, International dealer and get an invoice on a NEW bus and show those government morons that they are in fact blithering idiots with that invoice on a NEW school bus. Then have them retroact the '99 to the proper $35 fee it should be.....

M

P.S. - That's one of many reasons we left New England over 40, yes, FORTY years ago and never looked back......
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American peopleís liberty teeth and keystone under independence. ó George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Boy do I hate excise. I used to excise every morning but it wadn't working.

You've likely got a young new clerk in the mix somewhere giving you numbers like that. I'd sell mine for $30k but it's certainly not worth that much. They have to tax you on current value, not past values. I think you need to take your original purchase receipts to the DMV to show them how much it's worth. They can't base their estimates off of new value on a 18 year old vehicle. There is something wrong there.

I have to go excise now.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,523
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Here in GA, they charge a one-time fee identical to the sales tax in your county. If you paid sales tax (bought at a dealer) and have proof of this, that amount is deducted from said fee. From that day forward the annual tag fee is $20.

The entire tax structure is different for commercial uses. Since my bus is not used for commerce, the tag office simply tagged it just like a private passenger vehicle ... and by strict definition, that's exactly what it is.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,570
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I payed the Bluebird dealer in Everett a visit a few months ago and they showed me a new 2017 AARE.

Price tag? $160k
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Boy do I hate excise. I used to excise every morning but it wadn't working.

You've likely got a young new clerk in the mix somewhere giving you numbers like that. I'd sell mine for $30k but it's certainly not worth that much. They have to tax you on current value, not past values. I think you need to take your original purchase receipts to the DMV to show them how much it's worth. They can't base their estimates off of new value on a 18 year old vehicle. There is something wrong there.

I have to go excise now.
They actually can base the tax on their valuation, rather than what you paid .. at least in Oklahoma. If they say a second hand car is worth $12k and you paid $8k for it, they can tax it on the $12k.

However, in this instance a serious error has been made. That bus probably cost $100k new, and if they are taxing it as a commercial vehicle, the bill is immediately cut by 2/3rds. I can't believe the sales tax regime is as high for private vehicles, so maybe it needs to be re-titled at the same time.

Either way, it's not over $700 for the tax.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 1,246
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Register your beastie in VT or somewhere else where you aren't taxed to death.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
They actually can base the tax on their valuation, rather than what you paid .. at least in Oklahoma. If they say a second hand car is worth $12k and you paid $8k for it, they can tax it on the $12k.
In GA this is normal but you can file a appeal to have them base it on what you actually paid. When I transferred my bus into my name they saw on the bill of sale I paid $1500 for it & they charged me 7% sales tax on that amount.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,513
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
In GA this is normal but you can file a appeal to have them base it on what you actually paid. When I transferred my bus into my name they saw on the bill of sale I paid $1500 for it & they charged me 7% sales tax on that amount.
but is that per year? some states tax each YEAR for the tags based on this value..

in ohio I simply show a bill of sale and pay that sales tax.. unless I bought it from a dealer who already charged me the same tax rate.. tag price is a set rate each year noit based on the value.. but some states definitely charge yearly based on some perceived value of the vehicle..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.