Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 65
VPM - ECM Issues

Hi guys, I posted this a day or two ago in the International Mechanical section, but no response so far.

I've had the engine warn light on for a while, and finally read the codes behind it.

I'm now getting the following codes:

The 333 code is for the ICP sensor, which I'm dealing with soon.

223 DCL/ATA VPM not communicating with ECM
224 KAM PWR KAM Corrupt
615 ECM Programmable Parameter KAM Corrupt fault
622 VPM Engine using Field Default rating

It looks like 223 can trigger 622, and 224 can trigger 615.

Bus runs fine, idle is a bit rough and skips every once in a while, replaced batteries a few weeks ago so that may have caused the KAM issue, as I believe it requires a constant trickle current to stay alive.

This leaves me with the 223 issue, and despite a few hours pouring through manuals and google, I'm unable to locate my VPM. The location in the manual was by the left hand instrument panel, and there's nothing there, is it possible I just don't have one? If somebody could help my find and fix or purchase a new VPM that would be great. I've got a T444e 3800, engine year 1994 model year 1995, Thomas body.

Thanks!

coolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
ECM is the only acronym I know in your post.

What do the rest mean?

Solve the non-communication problem 223 and go from there. If you clear that the rest of the codes may change or you can disconnect the batteries and the codes will clear in about a half hour.

Always fix the first code issue first is what to do. The rest are consequences of that first abnormal code reading.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry I've had my head in the manual too long. VPM is Vehicle Personality Module, which I believe tells the ECM specs on the vehicle, and since it can't talk to the VPM to get specs I think it goes to "Field Default", whatever that means. My main confusion is really that I can't find the VPM (which appears to be the size of a VCR tape from what I've seen online) up under the instrument cluster where it is supposed to be. I listed all of the codes in case there was some weird interaction that somebody knew about.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Thank you but there are more acronyms to translate.

You have to remove some of the dash panel covers to find the VPM likely.

Start with that and remove all the years of built up dust bunnies while you have it open. A good opportunity to clean things up so you know they won't become issues sooner than later.
Might check heater motor operation for front defrost and heaters while covers are off. Much easier to follow harnesses back to switches.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like a good idea, my instrument panel has some issues of its own so I'll try and fix a few problems as long as its off. Thanks for the suggestion.