Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Re: Wall and ceiling insulation?

Let me know how it turns out. Pics. pics... pics... they tell everything.

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Skoolie

Bump.

Love these topics. Great learning for me and others.

Question for those using or thinking about using, the "Reflectix" or similar type barrier. Will you put it out against the outer skin, or in, against the inner skin?
Then will you separate the foam or fiberglass from the barrier with some type of furring strips or?...........

Thanks.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Deezl Smoke

I am not going to use reflectix..... but I will be using a spray on type radiant barrier. It is to my understanding you want the reflective side to the metal skin so that the heat energy can be reflected back to the outside and not get trapped inside.

I think separating the insulation from the inner barrier is going to be different from builder to builder. I personally don't think using fiberglass is a good option unless your looking quick, cheap, or the bus wont be in your ownership very long. I think people can see what under insulated materials do over time. I know in some cases its better than nothing but if your going to spend any measure of time in this tin can you will want it to be comfortable. I don't think its any mystery that these things noisy and rattle. Doing these things will help quiet them down ....some.....and make you more comfortable. Like building a house there are a few areas not to skimp on materials.... this is one of them.

I plan on using the spray on type radiant/vapor barrier, then polyiso insulation, fir out the sides, and close it out with luan.

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

I read a lot about "Reflectix" and it works best if there is an air gap between it and any other insulation. Check out this link:

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=581

Then click the .pdf for Air Space Requirements.

I ended up using R-Matte Plus-3/Thermasheath Polyiso sheathing. It has a refletive reinforced aluminum facer. The inside of my bus looks like the inside of the space shuttle.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Air gaps are a farce, as is the little bit of tin foil. That tin foil is a marketing stunt that really has no effect.

The link provided above is for buildings with vented roofs. Our buses need to be SEALED, as they have no venting in their roof. The technology they are trying to push is the tin foil will block the radiant heat from the sun above. However, once the heat is in the building, it must be vented. Better would be to skip the reflex insulation. and to the spray foam the underside of the tin. With the spray foam directly adhered to the tin, the radiant heat from the sun is never allowed to enter the space. Also the spray foam eliminates the condensation buildup that will form on the underside of the tin roof, just behind the reflex insulation.

If you leave a air gap, and cold air get's into that air chamber, that chamber becomes a cold zone. All insulation to the outside of that air gap you left will be rendered useless.

As a builder, I have made this mistake. It cost me thousands when I had to tear apart the house and re insulate with spray foam.

AIR GAPS DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF INSULATING.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

I agree, that is why I used the foamboard. I didn't see the "Reflectix" adding any R value without it. I also plan to spray foam the last inch to seal everything. I used a combo of foam board and spray foam, because one I need insulation and it was too cold to spray. Two to save some money.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #17
Skoolie

Once the pink foam is installed do I re-install the ceiling steel that I removed to get the fiberglass out? to return the structural integrity of the bus?
I would assume that an additional layer of something would need to go over the re-installed ceiling to keep the screws from transferring heat from the bows and the rivits on the outside.
The same thing with the walls?
I have to figure that pat of the bus strength is from the added support of the interior steel fastens to the bows.

thanks
Cliff
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
The interior panels are of very little structural importance.
I removed mine and have driven the metal tent around now for months. Its just fine.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hasbeen View Post
Once the pink foam is installed do I re-install the ceiling steel that I removed to get the fiberglass out? to return the structural integrity of the bus?
I would assume that an additional layer of something would need to go over the re-installed ceiling to keep the screws from transferring heat from the bows and the rivits on the outside.
The same thing with the walls?
I have to figure that pat of the bus strength is from the added support of the interior steel fastens to the bows.

thanks
Cliff
You need to strap your ceiling.

I need to make a sticky on how to insulate.

Go read build threads. Almost no one reinstalls the metal ceiling.

Start with this build thread.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ime-10138.html

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
this is one of the better youtube builds if not the best-
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote