Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #1

Wall and flooring attachment

I have looked through all of the pics and discussions with great interest. One thing that I have yet to find is how you attach the wall studs and flooring to your skoolie. It seems to me that if you screw or bolt through the siding and flooring, it would cause a possible leak problem in the future. I would appreciate any input or feedback you guys could offer. Thanks amillion and love the site.

rlogan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Everything in my skoolie is attached with screws or bolts that go through the floor, walls, and ceiling. When I drill a hole I try to remember to put some primer on it and if it goes through the floor put on some gasket sealer.

Leaks haven't been much of a problem your walls and ceiling have an inside and an outside layer of sheetmetal seperated with an insulation filled air gap. If you do develope a leak it's probably best to take care of the problem at the source on the outside first anyway. You don't need your skoolie to rust from the inside out!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

here's what i did for flooring in my bus:

I set foam board insulation on top of the stock rubber floor. (1/2" or 3/4", it's been so long i forgot.) I layed 1/4 osb on top of the insulation. pad on top of the osb, then carpet. The flooring near the hot tub instead of pad and carpet has luan then peel and stick tile on top.

Of all the flooring material, the only thing that is attached is the luan and the carpet tack strip. Both of these are just attached to teh 1/4 inch osb.

The walls i also insulated with foam board then i put some really cheap panelling over that and attached both with self tapping screws to the steel beams that run between the windows.

hope this helps