Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #21
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
whatever happened to plastic lumber ? it was gonna be the next best thing since sliced bread then ya no longer hear about it.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
whatever happened to plastic lumber ? it was gonna be the next best thing since sliced bread then ya no longer hear about it.
Its expensive but used a lot in FL for Parks. They use it for decks, steps walkways, picnic tables etc. Outlasts, acid rain, sun, salt and is harder to carve graffiti into.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Its expensive but used a lot in FL for Parks. They use it for decks, steps walkways, picnic tables etc. Outlasts, acid rain, sun, salt and is harder to carve graffiti into.
Its what we built our deck from.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I've used plastic planking for the bath and toilet floors but at $50 for a 1" x9" x12' length its too costly to do the whole bus. uploadfromtaptalk1424441461237.jpg
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Plastic (PVC or polyfoam) "wood" that is readily available in the US cannot be used for structural frames. That is why you see stuff like Trex and Veranda installed either on wood or steel framing. I have PVC "wood" trim in the bus in several places. It's being used where the potential for water damage is high or where the flexability is needed. I like the solid PVC more than the poly stuff. PVC will take more physical damage. That is why the quarter round on the floor is PVC. Plus that is what I decided that I wanted in my bus. It was the best choice for the application and my budget.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #26
Bus Nut

It is a bit floppy. The walls of the shower area will be OSB with vinyl siding. As the siding isn't that wide, I'll use several pieces stuck together with silicone caulk. The windows will be an exception - I might use some form of plexiglass.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Would applying a urethane or varnish seal in the chemicals used in the glues in osb?
Yes and no.

Yes encapsulating the wood will work to seal it from the moisture outside and seal the chemicals inside. This is how some boats are built. With wood and fiberglass / epoxy.

No, because the glue is not nearly as good as marine grade plywood. One breech of the encapsulation, or hole in the coating, and it would start to swell like a sponge. This will be fine for a living room, but no good for a bathroom where humidity levels are way above 19% far to frequently.

One more example I like to use it baseboard trim. Here we can get hardwood, finger joint pine, and press wood.
Hardwood is best for high humidity if not using plastic trims,
next would be the finger joint pine if properly sealed with paint.
Not any good is the press wood, First little nick out of the paint and it sucks up moisture like a sponge. After swelling it completely looses it's seal, taking one more moisture till it looks like a bloated mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
How do you insulate with bare metal?
You laminate or glue the rigid Styrofoam right to it. Finish wall covering glues on the opposite side of the rigid Styrofoam. This is how the high end insulated warehouses here in the Canada are built. Remember we live in a age of adhesives.

Or you encapsulate the 1.5 inch by 3.5 inch wood strapping in the Styrofoam so no bug, moisture, ect can get at it. This is what I'm doing on my bus build.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/the-four-season-prime-10138.html

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Be careful encapsulating wood. The early ironclads had major problems akin to mine. When I bought my bus, there was plywood over the whole floor. That was covered by vinyl tiles.

Sounds good until water gets under the vinyl as it did from a leak from the hot water tank somebody had installed and from a leaky side door seal. This is why my bathroom and toilet now have plastic planks bolted down and sealed between the planks and the side of the bus.

There's more rotted plywood at the back but I haven't got that far yet. That's for March!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
Be careful encapsulating wood. The early ironclads had major problems akin to mine. When I bought my bus, there was plywood over the whole floor. That was covered by vinyl tiles.

Sounds good until water gets under the vinyl as it did from a leak from the hot water tank somebody had installed and from a leaky side door seal. This is why my bathroom and toilet now have plastic planks bolted down and sealed between the planks and the side of the bus.

There's more rotted plywood at the back but I haven't got that far yet. That's for March!
OSB would have been complete mush.

That's exactly why there will be no wood in my floor.

Only a little bit sealed in the walls every 16 inches where it will never see moisture.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Yeah... If its like Lowes wood, good luck with that. I have to leave Lowes wood to dry for 2 weeks because it is saturated with water when I get it. They store their OSB outside too. There's a roof over it but it soaks up sc humidity and spray and blown rain.