Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
Skoolie

Re: Warm weather made me think about getting my bus painted

Timbuk, the paint was $32 a gallon. We have sanded and scotch brite-d the whole bus. Next we are going to wash it and before we paint are going to do the lapeer mineral spirits wipe down. I'll probably roll the roof, but spray the rest. We are going to prime all the bare areas, including the paint-lock. We have a 3 color scheme, which translates into a lot of masking and work. Oh well, what's new.

I don't know how old you are Timbuk, but at my age scraping all those colors off your bus would probably give me flashbacks from my psychodelic(sp) past doings and you'd find me on the ground in some sort of trance.....hey, just so long as I'm smiling, right?

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
Bus Geek

MY ADVICE IS TO NOT WASH THE BUS.......unless you live in a really dry climate and are not going to paint for a couple of days after.

i find that no matter how much i try to dry the bus, i just can't get all the water out....especially from under the rub rails. Then when i'm painting the air from the paintgun forces the water to run out from under the rub rails leaving streaks in my nice new paint. it's not as easy as just wiping it off, because it's oil based paint, the two don't mix. it's a frustrating mess.

i'd stick with the mineral spirits wipedown and stay away from the water

just my $0.2
Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #23
Skoolie

I am considering using tractor paint from TSC. Does anyone know why this paint would not work?
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #24
Bus Geek

someone on here used it before, called something like bpe (best paid ever) or something silly like that. I expieremented with it a couple years back and my particular spray gun didn't like it, but this other guy thought it was really great. I might not have used acetone to thin it though i don't remember....i don't care for the way rustoleam sprays when i use thinner other than acetone either.

i just finished painting a 1949 farmall M tractor this week with tractor paint...not sure the brand, but it was oil based. The directions recommended using vmnp (vm & p?) naptha for thinning. This paint sprayed very well for me, we were just commenting on how it would look good on a bus.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #25
Skoolie

Thanks for the heads up, Jason. Good advice.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

well at 32 buks a gallon you are gonna get what you pay for that is cheap paint and its hard to knock off if you are not hapy if you go bright colors it will fade quick i willspend a little extra here i will not do another bus paint job! ill get some shots up of my gong show sooon timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #27
Skoolie

Well Timbuk....I just figured I'd come to your house and visit the professional at paint removal if my job doesn't turn out
Old 03-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

oh man rep you do not want to go there hey just a thought i think that jason said putting a clear coat over the lower level paints does a good job at reducing fading and adding a good gloss. today i was a geared up for more removal,but it snowed last night.oh yea im the same age as my bus! at least i was when i started
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #29
Skoolie

We probably will clear coat our bus a la the Lapeer method. Funny thing is......I thought $32 a gallon was a lot. Snowed last night. Man Timbuk, you're tough. It was 86 here today. Best of luck with your paint removal and the impending new look.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

well you sure have the right weather for the job the faster the paint dries,the less sheen if you have hot weather use a slower acting reducer and faster for colder weather the way its going here ill be using the faster rep im getting close to finishing the strippin hope it all goes well this week for you guys good luck and pray to the paint gods
Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I dug up the box with my spray gun and am hoping for clear weather this weekend also.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote