Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: ISB Cummings
Rated Cap: 84
Water from window corners-

Hi All,
We think we've located the source of our leakage problem. In my earlier post regarding water issues, Sean F hit the nail on the head when he said that it was coming through the windows and running down the walls. Now, someone (I believe it was ShortBus) suggested caulking to alleviate this problem. How do we go about doing that? Would you caulk both inside and out? Where would you put the caulk?
We really want to avoid having a rusty and disgusting cesspool going on under our floor after it is laid. will caulking be enough to prevent that?

Also, we've taken all of the bazillion screws out of the metal wall paneling, but the paneling is attached to the underside of the windows. Any tips on how to remove it? Did most of you remove it or leave it in?

We're considering levering it intact. We'd levering it up and then treating the inside of the walls, re-insulating, and sealing it back up before putting a 1/2 (or thicker?) blue-board foam insulation on top of it, and then finishing it off with maybe some bead-board paneling... what do you think, overkill? or is that reasonable? We are planning on being in some pretty heavy winters.

And finally, do you think we'd have less (or more) trouble with water leakage if we did it this way?

Sorry for the multi-topic thread, but if anyone can handle it, it'd be you guys!

Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Water from window corners-

we kind of had the same problem. First we decided to cut off the inside panels to be able to easier access the frame and rust proof it. then we decided to remove all the windows and replace them with RV style windows, so the rest of the panels was removed too. We filled the walls with Styrofoam insulation as well as the empty window frames. Covered the outside with 18 gauge steel.

we used POR-15 http://www.por15.com to tread all rusted parts. (as well as the not rusted yet parts)

If you decide to just caulk your seams make sure you remove all the old caulking first, a heat gun makes that job easier.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Hey Swinada, do you have any more pics of your conversion? I'm interested in seeing what you did with your walls. I was originally going to build a sub-wall and leave the steel but after seeing your rust maybe I will tear mine out also.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Yeah, Smitty I think water was leaking in at some point. I have a spot on the driver's side rear inside wall that actually has a rust hole in the steel panel AND also right at the chair rail. I'm thinking I should cut the steel panels off rip out the old insulation and rustproof the beams. Then figure out what I want to do about my wall.

I also want to reseal all my windows but WOW, I think its going to take me FOREVER to try to get the old caulking out.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I thought about skinning the windows. It might sound crazy.. But I don't want to take away from "Bus" look on the outside. I was thinking of maybe just blacking out and sealing the windows that will be blocked on the inside and then framing and insulating over the inside of the windows. What do you think?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSBOZO
I thought about skinning the windows. It might sound crazy.. But I don't want to take away from "Bus" look on the outside. I was thinking of maybe just blacking out and sealing the windows that will be blocked on the inside and then framing and insulating over the inside of the windows. What do you think?
I'm going through a similar decision process right now. I think I'm going to skin the blocked windows though. Main reason being that if you cover the windows with interior walls and cabinets, etc, and then get a leak, you probably won't see it happening. So I think I'm going to go the safer route or skinning the windows, since there is less chance of leakage. Plus you get added space for insulation by removing the window.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Bus Nut

hmm... decisions, decisions.