Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #1

Year: 1985
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 8.9L Detroit Deisel
Rated Cap: 45
Water in the Oil

Does this mean the block is cracked? or sense it has sat for the past three years it has condensation or? let me know. so far this thing is coming along well, new batts, and wiring, still waiting to change oil and fluids. we could get it going the old fashioned way my mechanic said but i dont want to do that if it delays hte driving progress

kl

thanks so much for your time

SKIBUSENTRPNR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Water in the Oil

What kind of engine. If you have wet liners, could be a cracked liner. You could do just one hole if you knew which one (and that's the trick).
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

drain the oil and see what comes out if theres lots of water theres a problem,all right. if not too much could be condensation is the rad still full?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I would venture to say it is from sitting at this preliminary point. Drain it, put fresh oil in, and keep an eye on it. If you don't have a mystery coolant leak you are probably ok. This is a common problem I've found with rear ends, transfer cases, transmissions, engines, etc from the smaller, cheaper salvage yards. They don't vacuum pack the stuff in ATF and you end up with some rust on gears and sludge in pans. I've never had a problem after a good flush, but I watch those parts closely after installation. Everything gets flushed and filled with fresh fluids, run for a bit, and then drained and refilled again. You should do the same.

Also, remove the radiator cap and look in for bubbles coming out and listen for air. Usually if coolant is getting into the engine where it shouldn't then exhaust gases and blowby are getting out where they shouldn't as well.