Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
water line winertizing

Has anyone installed an air connection in thier water system to "blow out" the lines for winter. I think this would be easier than pouring all the pink stuff in the lines, and less expense. You'd have to make sure you did not over pressure the system. What am I missing?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: water line winertizing

Actually started the first of the plumbing. Using PEX lines, I did notice I had a couple low spots in places. That's what brought up the question. No turning back now.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Are you planning on using Check Valves? I have read of some people putting them on their showers, sinks, and so on. Just curious how one would drain their pipes with those in place. I figure having a blow out would be handy along with the low-spot drain. Just open the blow out and drain to let air in and water out.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

The ideal way to winterize is to use both compressed air and the pink stuff. Using air is easy, you pick up a "Blow Out Plug" at any RV dealer (they are cheap) and screw it into the fresh water hose connection... keep the pressure low or you could blow out more than water.

However, even after you do that, there are always low spots that left over water collects in, and subsequently freezes and possibly expand enough to burst your pipe. There are other things to consider too, even a few drops of water in the wrong place like a faucett or pump impellers will also cause problems once it freezes.

Using the pink stuff (and that stuff is cheap too) eliminates any and all problems, you flush the lines and it is all replaced by this stuff, all the nooks & crannies.

The more experienced RV'ers like to use the pink stuff first, then drain it, then blow it out as they don't want to leave the stuff in the lines all winter. Myself I just used the pink stuff and leave it in there.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

We tried gravity drain of a motorhome system at work a few years ago. When we added water in the spring, we found there had been a little water left in the pump body that hadn't drained. The body had cracked and the pump was shot. Blow it all out and/or use antifreeze!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote