Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #21

Re: Water Recirculation System

Thank you both for your replies.

Lorna, just to clarify I have done a lot of research including looking up molecular weights, micron sizes and molecular bonding tendencies of contaminants as well as what pathogens are resistant to what types of purification methods. I even came across interesting studies on radioactive water. Additionally my wife is trained in the medical field and her microbiology books have come in very handy for identifying potential risks that if you don't know they exist you won't know how to search for it online. But your post does bring up a very important point I did not make earlier... I am in NO way wanting to endorse anyone recycling "used" water of any kind based on my curiosity of the subject.

Jim, I too am looking at using two fresh water tanks... one potable and the other for recycled grey water to be used for flushing the toilet. My thought being that in extreme emergency the recycle tank water could be additionally distilled for drinking. Using a recirculating UV process means an extra pump but also helps to keep tank from reaching black water levels when combine with monthly bleach/chlorine treatment. BTW using a non-electric composting toilet with heat exchange from exhaust while in motion and furnace vent when parked in colder climates. My hope is that the recycled water will increase decomposition along with the higher temps.