Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Site Team
Re: water tank and quality of water

Originally Posted by bapos
My first inclination is to say take a sample and have it analyzed buy someone who tests water? I dont think floride would get slimy like that on its own. It has to be interacting with the compounds in the tank materail or something. Is this tank food grade plastic?

Do you get the same result when filled up from a different area?

Not sure how much access you have to the opening but as you said bleech or chlorine in the right concentration should kill most things you will encounter.

I have heard some people putting a lot of ice in tanks (gray and black) for the scrubbing effect to keep them clean.

Let us know how it plays out. I am interested.
This is just a question to address what I know will be an issue once we put a tank in.

Right now at our house we have to clean and scrub the water bowls for the "tenants" (cats) every two days or so just so they don't feel slimy.

the shower gets the "pink" tint after say a weeks use and is slippery as heck and has to be cleaned every weekend. (in the corners and around the drain where water sits)

the sinks and the tub only get it around the drain gasket area (weird) no standing water i guess

I just assume our water would do the same in a tank sitting for a week
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

While backpacking and camping, we would put a drop or two of bleach in a quart of water... I wonder if that would work for an in accesible tank? Curious ... Main problem I see would be OVER bleaching and , well... you know!
TUMBLEWEED (AKA Rufus) build:
PICTURES : ... M-HP/Rufus
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Bleach works. We have a water cooler and a bunch of 5 gallon water jugs that we use for drinking water. When one of them starts crudding up, my wife mixes a bleach solution and in a few days it is clean.
Also as you mentioned, a insy bit in drinking water is good.
I haven't tried it in a fresh water tank to clean it. I would think that it would clean them also.
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote