Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Water Tanks

I just got my water tanks today! 50 gal each, 2 small bungs and 2 large bungs each. Guy down the road will install and make me a good deal on a 10 gal water heater. All I have to do next is a shower and sink installation, then I'm fully hydrated. Cost: $938 total.

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Nice, you're coming out cheaper than I am.... I'm pretty much having to buy everything new because there isn't really any secondhand stuff available close enough to me to make it worth it.

I'm already over 800 and I don't have my tanks yet, though I do have my water heater already, water pump and associated parts coming... I still need a sink and shower, hoping I can do both for less than a couple hundred more.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
why use hot water tanks instead of on demand hot water? The take up no room and are less than 100$ plus your not caring 10 or 20 gallons down the road.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Sure would like to know where you found a tankless heater for less than $100, all the ones I looked at were over $600 at the low end and went up from there.

I'm already gonna be hauling up to 100 gallons of water in my fresh water tank, so 10 to 11 more won't make an appreciable difference....
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Mine's all new, too. So are the LP heaters for the inside. I learned my lessons from last year's winter. One heater alone will do nothing more than cut the chill. I want a bit more than just cutting the chill. So, I purchased 2 heaters, one for the front (with more heat) and one for the rear.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Sure would like to know where you found a tankless heater for less than $100, all the ones I looked at were over $600 at the low end and went up from there.

I'm already gonna be hauling up to 100 gallons of water in my fresh water tank, so 10 to 11 more won't make an appreciable difference....
Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater | eBay
good deal on it too, ive had mine 2 years no problems. 3 months on a grill size tank
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater | eBay
good deal on it too, ive had mine 2 years no problems. 3 months on a grill size tank
Yea, it's a good deal but it says right on it "outdoor use only", which makes it no good to supply hot water to my indoor plumbing system unless there's something I'm missing somewhere... though it would be good for using in an outdoor shower tent.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Any "Outdoor" unit MUST be very well vented or you can easily wake up dead from the carbon monoxide. It can be done, as a number of folks here and elsewhere have pulled it off successfully...just do it right.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Yea I suppose it could be mounted to an outside wall and a hole cut for ventilation, like the regular LP fired tank water heaters are... or mount underneath the bus and run the hot water up through the floor. But I already have the other one so gonna go ahead and use it.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I have both styles of venting on a couple of these I own. On the bus I am going to just install it in the shower on the wall so i can run the temp controls like it would be out side in our shower tent. then turn off the shower head and let it by pass through to the bus's other hot water sinks. who has a shower with out a roof fan or vent. its not like its a diesel engine running its propane on and off for seconds at a time. If you need to the tops are open you can hood one but i don't see any one dying over talking a shower. How many of you are cooking on a propane stove in a RV. I'm more worried about not enough ventilation from moisture causing mildew and mold.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I have both styles of venting on a couple of these I own. On the bus I am going to just install it in the shower on the wall so i can run the temp controls like it would be out side in our shower tent. then turn off the shower head and let it by pass through to the bus's other hot water sinks. who has a shower with out a roof fan or vent. its not like its a diesel engine running its propane on and off for seconds at a time. If you need to the tops are open you can hood one but i don't see any one dying over talking a shower. How many of you are cooking on a propane stove in a RV. I'm more worried about not enough ventilation from moisture causing mildew and mold.
point on! its the same btu as a burner on my stove. i use all 4 on cold mornings. for safety its best to just run a 90* out the wall using metal duct work. for venting humidity im going with the solar vents that will run 24 hours a day if needed.
New Solar Vent Fan with Battery Remote Solar Panel for Boat RV etc s S | eBay
i got two for forward and aft
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote