Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Waterproofing wood before sticking FRP

Hi All,

Looking to waterproof the plywood walls of my shower area prior to covering them in FRP panels.

I was planning on sticking the FRP to the plywood with DAP Weldwood contact cement, but I am now concerned that any waterproofing would stop the contact cement from sticking to the plywood.

In homes, my research is showing people use Redgard or Aquadefence on plasterboard prior to sticking down tiling, but no real guide as to how to treat wood prior to sticking down an adhesive.

Also concerned that anything like Thompson’s Waterseal will definitely cause my contact cement to bead-up and not stick.

Anybody got any advice on what to do? Or what not to do?

Cheers

Douggy

Douggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
No Thompson’s! The mastic won’t stick. Well, it would, but not as well. I’d use mastic instead of contact cement. Apply it with a v-notch trowel. The best adhesion you’re going to get is straight to the wood. The FRP isn’t going to leak in the field, only at the joints. What are you doing at the joints? If you are using the trim pieces, just make sure to have a good amount of mastic all across the back of the trim, but don’t get it in the groove. It’ll look messy if you do. If you aren’t using trim pieces, you should.

What do you have at the pan/plywood junction? Did you leave a gap? Like 1/4 or 3/8 inch gap? Fill that up with mastic.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote