Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Waxing a rolled-on Rustoleum paint job

.....anybody have experience with this? Painted last year, and washed for the first time yesterday.....I used a pretty rigid nylon bristle brush so I could test how well the paint had adhered. It all looks good except for a couple of spots (top of a rivet, a groove in a rub rail) that I must have missed during prep.

The web had little insight, other than "a standard wax or compound will 'settle' into the low spots and not buff out, leaving a haze to the finish".

Any words of wisdom? I like the 'just rained on' look.
Attached Thumbnails
flush.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
.....anybody have experience with this? Painted last year, and washed for the first time yesterday.....I used a pretty rigid nylon bristle brush so I could test how well the paint had adhered. It all looks good except for a couple of spots (top of a rivet, a groove in a rub rail) that I must have missed during prep.

The web had little insight, other than "a standard wax or compound will 'settle' into the low spots and not buff out, leaving a haze to the finish".

Any words of wisdom? I like the 'just rained on' look.

if you don't get a clear coat or some wax on it, especially if it's Rustolium or other type of rust preventive paint, it will start to oxidize quickly - in just 2 or 3 years, Tremclad, Rustolium and others will appear flat and dull
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have used plain old "turtle wax" on rustoleum many a time. It does help keep it shiny and slow down the oxydation. A 2 year paint job becomes 5 or more years.

I like your choice of colors, nice job.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I have used plain old "turtle wax" on rustoleum many a time.
Was that on a spray paint job, or a roller job?

The Busted Flush
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have done it both ways
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give it a try.

The Busted Flush
Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ronnie is exactly right about turning a two year paint job into a five year paint job and Old fashion Turtle wax is a fine product. I don't see it at Auto zone and the rest but it is still on ebay as a left over. I recently bought 3 bottles of it and I use it a couple of times a year on all my cars (While my bus is mostly base coat clear clear coat, the pop up top is white Rustoleum and still looks like new after more than five years with the use of TW).

It is too late to consider adding clear coat. For that to work it needs to be applied over fresh Rustoleum before it has completely dried.. Sure you can do it but after 6 months it will start to blister and peel like a bad Jamaican sun burn..

Your red will need to be tended too 3 or 4 times a year to get the "rain drop" effect and by the time you have polished the whole bus you will have come to HATE the smell of TW.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Ronnie is exactly right about turning a two year paint job into a five year paint job and Old fashion Turtle wax is a fine product. I don't see it at Auto zone and the rest but it is still on ebay as a left over. I recently bought 3 bottles of it and I use it a couple of times a year on all my cars (While my bus is mostly base coat clear clear coat, the pop up top is white Rustoleum and still looks like new after more than five years with the use of TW).

It is too late to consider adding clear coat. For that to work it needs to be applied over fresh Rustoleum before it has completely dried.. Sure you can do it but after 6 months it will start to blister and peel like a bad Jamaican sun burn..

Your red will need to be tended too 3 or 4 times a year to get the "rain drop" effect and by the time you have polished the whole bus you will have come to HATE the smell of TW.
Jack
my dad added one of those small pouches of liquid turtle wax to the soapy water when he washed his new 69 chevy pickup - l bought that pickup from him later, and later my son bought it from me - when it was written off in an accident many years later, it had 500,000 miles on it and was still shiny because of the many times my dad washed it using those little packets of Turtle Wax - I haven't seen those packets on the market for years
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #9
Bus Nut

For my car, I get one of the all-in-one washes with the caranuba wax in it. Shake really well, 1 cap full per gallon of warm water. Just a quick rub with a fresh wash mitt, then hose it down.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote