Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Freightliner
Way to lock doors

Hi,

I have a 2001 Freightliner m-line bus. I have it parked at a storage place and was looking for a way to lock the double doors on the side of the bus. The open by either air compression or if the bus is off you can just push them open.

Thanks

cosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: Way to lock doors

Probably not a permanent solution, but when I first got mine - same airdoor deal - I put an eye bolt in each door, near the bottom, and used a bicycle lock. When I finally dealt with it permanently I put in a garage door lock mechanism and just epoxied the holes where the eye bolts were and painted.
Tom
Old 11-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Saw this lock at Illinois Railway Museum this last summer. I think I saw someone here do the same type of thing not sure who though.

There is a bar on the inside of the door with the eye bolt coming through the bar on the outside between the rubber door seal.
Attached Thumbnails
bus lock.jpg  
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

The bus I bought already had a simple latch to lock the door from the outside. It is the simplest way to do it, but it doesn't have the best look to it. If I can find a better looking solution I might change it out. The one thing I didn't like though was I really didn't have a way to lock the bus door while I was inside. It's an older bus and still has the lever to open it from the driver's seat. Once it gets past a certain point it makes opening the door from the outside difficult but you can shake the door enough to open it. Just for added comfort I started putting a heavy u-bolt over the handle to lock the lever in place. I use a deadbolt to lock the back door. I've seen the setup here but I can't find it at the moment.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I'm coming in late to this conversation, but here's a shot of how my front door locks:

Eventually, I will install a deadbolt like this:

This type of deadbolt will allow me to open the door with a key set at the "normal" height from the outside, and a simple knob from the inside. And since the bolts "grab" the lock vertically, no one can force the door open by pushing.

That's the plan at least. I'll let you know if it actually works on the front door.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Here is my solution: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4959&start=180 (scroll halfway down the page to see the door lock).

It's nice to not need keys, but at night it's hard to get in if you don't have a flashlight to see the numbers on the lock dial.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
Here is my solution: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4959&start=180 (scroll halfway down the page to see the door lock).

It's nice to not need keys, but at night it's hard to get in if you don't have a flashlight to see the numbers on the lock dial.
Which page? There's 47 of them
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote