Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 12:56 AM   #1

We got a bus!

Wife and I have been talking about this off and on for a while and came across a unit that we really liked. Other than converting it for our family to travel in, we're not really sure what all we're going to do to it. But we're excited! Whole family washed her up today and we took her to the local burger joint.

It's a '94 Ford with the 5.9 cummins. I suspect Allison transmission but not confirmed yet.

Has anyone taken their bus to a shop to have a mechanical inspection done on it? Seems like that might be a good place for us to start. We don't have a complete history of the bus or the full maintenance records.

We're in the Seattle, WA region if anyone knows of a reputable place.

Peace,
Troy

Skooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
people do.. although b e prepared for said shoop to tell you a zillion things are wrong that very well may make no difference.. in today;s Litigious society a shop would rather write up something very minor than pass it over and have someone come back on them later..

definitely get it an oil change, chassis lube, have the coolant checked / tested for proper temperature worthiness and SCA levels, brake system / lining check, rear diff oil change, hub oil change..

a full maint service at most shops here in the midwest runs around a grand. often a local small shop will give you better results than a mega dealer..

much of this you can check on your own as well if you want to learn. oil changes on a bus are just like in a car.. just bigger.. same with a chassis lube. get a grease gun and go. you can buy test strips to check your own coolant temp / SCA levels.

if you have hydraulic brakes they are very similar to the brakes on your car.. if they are air brakes, you may want to have them checked by a shop unless you understand or want to learn how air brake systems function.

and do what you are doing, drive it all over the place.. get it out on the freeway, drive it in town, check the fluids often.. you'll likely find youll meet up and make friends with others who have busses and help you understand its mechanics.. as well as a friendly trucker or two!.

and Most of all? Have fun!! I drive my 2 busses all over the country and have an absolute blast doing it.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
people do.. although b e prepared for said shoop to tell you a zillion things are wrong that very well may make no difference.. in today;s Litigious society a shop would rather write up something very minor than pass it over and have someone come back on them later..
-Christopher
Thanks Christopher. My dad stopped by that next weekend and helped me go through the mechanicals. A lot of it were things you mentioned. Good news is overall it's not a bad rig. We've started diving in to the interior demo and it this point are trying to put the windows back in. The joys of trying to be water tight

If you or anyone else is interested we've also launched a few channels to document this crazy experience we're going through. One of the YouTube videos is us checking out the mechanicals.

http://facebook.com/gettinskooled
http://instagram.com/gettinskooled
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmS...bdp1plw-R9iB_Q

Thanks again!
Troy & Leah
Skooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome and nice rig.
looking forward to your progress

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Welcome, congrats on the purchase. post more pics and keep us updated!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Congrats! Now the real fun begins.
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #7

Whew ... I know it is vastly overkill, but I plan on going to voc. school and get a diesel mechanic diploma. I am retired and have time and realize that's not an option for most. I just finished carpentry school, so I think I can handle the build part now. I have a voc. diploma in auto mechanics, so don't think the diesel thing is gonna be that much of a jump. I just don't want to end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a broke bus and no idea what's wrong with it.
BigFig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Gary at GLM Bus Repair in Puyallup would be the only place I would recommend.

He is better versed at working on motorcoaches but he can do a good job for you.

Be prepared to spend $1K for oil change, chassis lube, brake adjustment, and a DOT inspection to check for anything else that needs fixing.

He will tell you honestly what needs fixing right now, what needs fixing soon, and what is annoying but not needing repair any time soon.

Bus Repair - GLM Bus Repair - Puyallup | Tacoma WA
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noobs