Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: INTL
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Weight Capacity of storage compartments

Does anyone know what the weight capacity is of the storage compartments on a 2001 International Amtran Genesis Flatnose bus? The compartments are built into the bus, meaning they were not added after the fact. I'm putting in grey tanks in half of two different compartments but don't know how big of tank I can reasonably use. I have two 100 gallon fresh tanks under the master bed inside. Thanks

mattn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The compartment would safely hold a tank as large as the compartment, it's a steel box. 2 of my compartments are connected inside, I have 2 tanks in there and one above the compartment under the sink.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: INTL
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Thanks for the reply o1marc.

Is it possible to overload these? My compartments are probably like yours. I have two located just in front of the rear wheels, well actually its one compartment with two doors and one just behind the wheels for a total of three compartments on each side. Being that the front ones are quite long (about 120" long) they could potentially hold a very large tank. I'm looking at a 70 gallon tank for each side to hold grey water. Water weighs about 8.8 lbs per gallon so that's potentially 600+ lbs. The front half of one compartment will hold the energy storage, i.e. batteries, inverter, and so forth. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to brace these compartment with extra steel bracing for all that weight. It's not exactly band instruments or football gear, which is likely what was intended to be hauled in there!
mattn75 is offline   Reply With Quote