Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454
Weird Question...indulge me

OK, so reading around the board got me seriously thinking of adding a deck atop the bus. My thoughts are that it could double as a luggage rack when we're on the road.

I would like to make it accessible from the inside, with a ladder. OK, so I'm sacrificing floor space, but to give us more "living" space, as well as a place to put the bikes so I don't have to worry about hitches/trailers being an issue.

So I got to thinking...some buses have emergency exits on the roof. Someone mentioned that there is a requirement to have two emergency exits. Would this roof access be able to count as an emergency exit or should I just have a standard plan to make the back door accessible?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Weird Question...indulge me

when you do the conversion and change the title to a rv title the school bus rules and regulations are no longer applicable, that being said, you will still want to provide emergency egess points, a roof hatch would certianly qualify, also most late model busses have pushout escape windows on both sides, some rv windows are also set up to be escape points.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote