Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Welders/Metal workers out there ??

Hi gang,
I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of shop one goes to to get racks built for a bus,fuel tanks made and things mounted to the outside (like big ass generators).

I know its a strange question,but we do not have the experience and knowledge to do this kind of work,and no idea where one would go to have that kind of stuff done.We are curently in southern c.a,so if anyone knows of someone who does welding and metal work,please let us know.

If you know of someone out of state,we can drive there too.

Anyone have any ideas ?? ~ Pixie

Old 05-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
a welding shop

i know of three in the town that i live in and the population is around 16000 people.
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Almost There

Send a message via Yahoo to TravelingMan
I dont think you have the structsual suport to hang them anyplace but the frame. You can buy them used http://www.trucks.com\parts_salvage Look in the used section. Tith some elbogreas they can look like new.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
Skoolie

Pixie , if you cant find someone in your area to help out with welding up the brackets you’ll need for hanging stuff under your bus…here’s a link to the site where I bought our steel truck storage/tool boxes. This ‘page’ shows their mounting brackets.
They were very affordable Boxes, so I imagine the brackets don’t cost much.

http://www.800toolbox.com/mounting_brac ... ackets.htm

I noticed your other post concerning a generator and also read on your site that you’re an artist/craftsperson.
You might consider buying a nice quiet generator that will allow you to go to barter and craft fairs, have available electrical power and at the same time not piss anyone off.
When I first started our latest bus conversion project, I bought a mid-sized Honda genie …and it was a noisy beast..
So I sold that and bought a nice efficient and quiet little Honda EU2000i generator.
I love it , its VERY quiet , easy to haul around …and I could use it at an outdoor craft show to run our T-shirt press and laptop …which I think is a pretty cool thing.
A nice thing about these little Honda generators is they’re designed to put 2 of them together to double up their output.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hey folks,
Thanks for all the replies,you guys are great.However,after some consideration and talking it over with the helpful fellow at rv solar electric,we decided we will not need a generator at all !! Hooray,I was not looking forward to one!

With two 120 watt pannels,and a 1500 watt inverter he said that would be plenty to run our refrigerator, laptop ,power tools and whatever else.We found a great price on a Novakool refrigerator that only draws like somewhere around 30 amps a day !! We will be using,and actualluy prefer oil lamps to electric lights,so we save there too.

So needless to say,we are over joyed that we dont need a generator or have to worry about mounting it.

We still need to find a welder though for the racks.For some reason though,everytime I talk to one and tell them what I need they just kinda laugh at me like I am nuts....I guess it's too small a job ??

Anyway,thanks for all your advice .~ Pix