Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Bus Nut

What 10 months will do to your bus....

Now that I'm no longer living aboard my bus, I decided it was time to give it a complete wash, hell knows it really did need it. After 10 months being parked at the Mobile Home Park under a Gumball tree it got VERY nasty looking... Here are a pair of "Half-way' down the side picks, and one of it finished...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott
Re: What 10 months will do to your bus....

Y~U~C~K~Y!!! I have a question (or a few) for you. Was it difficult to close in the windows like that? Are those RV windows you Used? And did you remove the old skoolie windows and insulate the space?

WOW!!! Just saw the other (last) picture and it looks like you painted it. Looks B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~L!!!!!
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

A long handle brush, a big bucket of water with Dawn Dish Soap, and a pressure washer works wonders... Oh, and about 2 hours of elbow grease!!

As for the windows, those RV windows are 2 piece, outside (as you see them) and an inner ring that "Clamps" them together. They were not hard to do, I did have to remove the pillar between 2 of the old bus windows to make the hole wide enough. I got 22" tall windows and the fit in the opening top to bottom perfectly.

The old windows are mostly in place, I just covered them over on the outside and the inside. However, you can see from the pictures that what I used to cover the outside with has not held up well, there are "Waves" in the stuff. I skinned them over with thin aluminum twice, but the aluminum didn't expand & contract at the same rate as the steel bus does, so they crinkled. What is there no is shower board, something I threw on there to get things done so I could use it. But that stuff is warping now too. Steel would probably be best, but I don't have the equipment to work with steel properly. I'm thinking of redoing it with some thin plywood and laminating it with some fiberglass... still mulling over what to try next, all I know is that I don't want to have to do this again so what ever I use this time better do the trick!!

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

I read somewhere else in this site that somebody used 14 guage sheet metal. It might have been attached to a picture of somebodies unit. I wish I could remember where I seen it. So what did you do, use sheet metal screws to the bottom of the metal and then the top with the interior windows open? What did you cut the window hole with? I have a compressor with a cut off saw that works great so it wouldn't be that difficult. These next 11 days are going to kill me until my tax money gets here. I can almost feel myself sitting in my new baby... Au Natural!!! Not me... we ll maybe. Thats gonna be her name.. Au Natural!!
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

drchefscott you can find our progress at the following pages. We used 18 gauge steel to cover the windows, we removed them all and filled in with insulation.
http://www.swinada.com/bus.htm
http://picasaweb.google.ca/swinada/BusPictures#
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Hey just a hint to get your new skin tight as a drum. I found a hint on some dudes coach conversion sight, He would fit the piece of sheet metal into place then just before drilling holes and riveting he would heat the piece up with a tiger torch (propane torch) to get it to expand. Then with leather gloves on he would quickly clamp it in place, drill the holes and rivet the piece on. Of course as it cooled down it shrank and stretched in its new home. I think it would work similar if you screwed it. This way even on a hot day you aren't likely to have too much distortion in your skin. Really it depends on how picky you want to get though.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Great job I honestly would not have believed it would have cleaned up that nice!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Just as an FYI, you will notice that the shower board I skinned the windows over with, did NOT get nearly as cruddy looking as the rest of the bus. Too bad that stuff didn't hold up better!!

I've heard of heating the metal up before installing it, but not sure how practical that would be. Working alone I think by the time I got it in place and tried runnning a couple TEK screws into it the thing would cool off by then!

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Just as an FYI, you will notice that the shower board I skinned the windows over with, did NOT get nearly as cruddy looking as the rest of the bus. Too bad that stuff didn't hold up better!!

I've heard of heating the metal up before installing it, but not sure how practical that would be. Working alone I think by the time I got it in place and tried runnning a couple TEK screws into it the thing would cool off by then!
This technique might work...

oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote