Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: What colour to paint rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
We bought a 1100 watt microwave/grill oven from Walmart yesterday. Only $100 regular price. Sure beats the $250 - $300 for a 900 watt Sharp Grill 2 Go. Our old microwave simply wasn't cooking anymore unless it felt like it. And it felt like it less and less. We have only microwaved in it. Haven't used the grill (browning element in the top) yet. The documentation for using the grill is pretty poor. I've got to look up some more info on it via the internet.
Been using the microwave for a little. We really like it. The microwave is 1100 watts and the grill is 1100 watts. Now Wal-Mart's website saying that it's $89! Been browning up the frozen dinner rolls (7 minutes under the grill from thawed). That's the only thing we have used the grill for. And that's about the only thing we really wanted it for. But this is pretty neat. I got a toaster oven and a microwave in one box for one low price and that is what I wanted. Based on how hot my water for tea is after 1 minute, I would say the old microwave had been losing power for quite some time. You gotta get you one of these!

On edit: I would like to add that I think microwaves are like DVD players and any other electronic device, they are good for roughly 4 years then you replace them. That's why we went with such a cheap model and I have a problem paying a lot of money for a 900 watt microwave. I have a big oven, I just didn't want to crank it up to brown a couple of rolls. We do our real grilling on the LP grill outside.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Stopped by a roadside "yard" sale today. Bought a Shur Flo 2088 Classic (2.8 gpm) for $5. We will need to find out if it works. If it doesn't, we can probably fix it. It looks pretty new. I need to find the date on it (didn't have my reading glasses and my arms just aren't long enough anymore) and we need to hook it up to test it. So now we have TWO back up water pumps. But if our daughter gets a bus we will either use the pump on her bus or we can give her a backup pump. Never hurts to have a water pump or two sitting around gathering dust. We will either resell it or use it.

Other than that I spent part of today doing "maintenance" on the bus (until the wind picked up and the elastometric caulk started drying too fast. I need to fix the caulk/paint where I glued the window sheet metal in place. Only on part of the window panels. Based on the panels that are showing paint cracks, it was too hot/too dry when the panels were caulked in place and the caulking skinned over too fast which meant the center of the caulk was still wet when I painted it. PLUS the paint was drying far too fast as well. I knew when I installed them that I might be having to repair them . I did figure it would have been last summer though. They are not leaking (I used a whole tube of caulking during installation) but it's just the paint peeling back a little in a few places. This time, I will let the caulk dry for a couple of weeks before touching up the paint. And I will paint early in the morning too. Time was not a luxury we had when we were skinning over the windows. Still it's been almost two years. Other side of the bus (side that was shaded and cooler when I did that side) looks just fine.

I think I will paint the "copper" parts in hammered silver. I'm going nickel inside due to keeping costs down. Have you priced oil rubbed bronze or aged copper hardware and fittings? Pricey! Until I change my mind again. It's just paint! Sinking my excess $$ into the floor. I've decided to still use the vinyl composition tile (VCT) but instead of using a single colour, I'm going to adapt an old stained glass pattern I drew up a few years back. So the floor will have either the tan or white tile as the field or background and the center strip will have morning glory vines and butterflies. From the front living room all the way to the bedroom in the back... roughly 20 to 22 ft. This will take me some time! I think I had better seal it as I go.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
I've decided to still use the vinyl composition tile (VCT) but instead of using a single colour, I'm going to adapt an old stained glass pattern I drew up a few years back. So the floor will have either the tan or white tile as the field or background and the center strip will have morning glory vines and butterflies. From the front living room all the way to the bedroom in the back...
That sounds really cool! I hope you post some pics while you are doing it.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Got my new toy today. A R70F452 Pandigital R70F452 Nova 7in 4GB Digital eReader - Black $63.97 that includes the 1 year protection plan (in case the thing didn't work when I got it)... yes I'm cheap!

Had a lovely long highly detailed post about electrical written up on it... battery died before I could post it. So now it's charging. Guess I should have done that first.

This thingy gives me "books" to read. Plus I can use the low priced apps in place of the more pricey GPS setups and their POI's . I will be splurging and buying AllStay's Camp & RV app which seems to cover most everything. I think the app is $10. I'm going to down load a sudoku app for David to see if he likes that and if he does, I will get him a cheap tablet just to play sudoku on. He plays a lot of sudoku at night.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #45
Site Team

when you get allstays let us know the good and bads
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
when you get allstays let us know the good and bads
Most definitely along with any other apps that may help.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Re: Perpetual Fresh Water Tank

We don't use the water straight from the city hookup in the campground. The water filters we use knock the gpms down so much it's sad. But the water pump puts out 3.5 gpm. Triple the water flow once it goes thru the filters. So we pump all our water from our fresh water holding tank.

David & I are lazy. Not the "never getting up off the couch" lazy but the "why make more work when you don't have to" type of lazy. One of the things that has bugged us about the Class C was filling the fresh water tank. Because we would start filling the tank and get side tracked doing something else and forget... until we noticed the huge puddle. It is not a situation exclusive to us.

These folks flooded the campground in Socorro. I think it ran all night.

So we decided to put a Float Valve in the fresh water tank. You are all familiar with float valves. Look inside any residential toilet and you will see a float valve at work. The one we used came from a feed & livestock supply store. It was rated as "Potable" water and sold to be used in livestock watering tanks. We bought one that hooked up to the 1/2" PEX that is run thru out the bus. What allows us to do this tank modification is the fact that we used an ABS water tank rather than the standard translucent (so you can see the water level) polyethylene tanks normally sold as fresh water tanks. With the float valve, the water will fill the tank until the float closes the valve. When the water level drops below a certain point, the valve will open allowing water in. So we don't have to babysit the tanks while they fill.

Our tank fills slowly. We have a sediment filter plus a 0.5 micron water filter on our system. The 0.5 micron filter drops our water flow down to 1 gpm. That's not too great. Our Shurflo 2088 water pump pumps at 3.5 gpm (yes that's right, I just checked before I typed it). That is enough to give a very nice shower with a non-water saver shower head. I also emptied the 30 gallon tank really fast. David drilled a 1/8" hole in a penny to use as a flow reducer in the shower head. Now the water lasts as long as my shower and then some. AND WE NEVER HAVE TO GO REMEMBER TO FILL THE WATER TANK!

We did discover a problem that was easily fixed. When the water level dropped (usually due to a shower) sometimes the float would hang in the open position (hanging straight down) and the water wouldn't lift it back up. We think this is because the float is designed to be installed in more than one position. So we made an easy fix. We placed a length of plastic plumbers strap in the tank and secured it to the opening. This also gives support to the float if the water level is low and we are traveling down the road.

We used a piece of FRP as a cover for the access hole that we cut into the Valterra ABS tank. It is secured in place with screws and butyl tape.

This is a view of the interior of the tank showing the valve going thru the thick end of the tank. David just drilled a hole the size the valve needed and threaded it thru. The valve came with all the bulkhead fittings needed to create a leak free install. We did have to allow for the tank float ball (hold fitting down so that float ball just touched the top of the tank and still closed the valve) and in doing so lost a little bit of water storage.

The plumbers strap was installed with enough slack to allow the valve to open to fill but still support the float and prevent it from dropping all the way down.

This is the "overflow" that we no longer need as an overflow. Our tank no longer overflows! It also allows the air to enter and escape as needed. That, we do need.

This is the line from the tank to the water pump inside the bus.

The white fitting is the float valve. The fitting on the lower right hand corner is a plug. This will be removed when I get the second tank to install. This is a reused tank. We had to use it on our way out west to build a misting system for the radiator. Everyone hauls a never been used 30 gallon tank, a 12vDC water pump and a garden misting system around with them just for situations like that? Anyway, the tank has only had potable water in it.

Screwing the cover on and securing the strap at the same time.

The tank we are currently using is a 30 gallon Valterra ABS tank. According to measurements plugged into the tank calculator For a rectangular tank 30" long X 14" High (water height when valve closes) X 8" wide = 29 gallons. So we lose a gallon for our particular tank set up. Adding a second tank will mean that the water will level out the same as the float valve tank. This will give us 58 gallons of fresh water while parked. When traveling, we will install a shut off valve to close down the second tank. This will allow us to run only the float tank full of water. To empty the second tank, we will either drain the tank with another shut off valve or turn the incoming water off, run the tanks dry, close down the second tank and turn the water back on to fill the float tank. If we know we will be traveling (in other words , not an emergency run) we will shut the water off a day or two ahead, use up the water, close the tank, turn water back on. If it's an emergency then it may be a good idea to have both tanks full. The extra tank of water isn't going to make that much difference in the mpgs.

As for why we need 58 gallons of water? With this setup, 30 gallons is fine filling at 1 gpm for showers and handwashing dishes. But add a washing machine and an automatic dishwasher to the mix and I am concerned about how long it takes the water tank to recover. Plus we have been out of water (burst city pipes) enough times to know that it doesn't get fixed real fast.

This is a real time saver and we never have to worry about not having water in the tank.

ABS tanks can be glued with all-purpose pipe glue, you can glue PVC pipe fittings into the tank using the all-purpose glue And they can be repaired using the all purpose pipe cement or you can "melt" abs shavings in MEK. I've bought ABS tent stakes in Wal-Mart to shave and melt. I've used all of these methods to repair ABS. I'll take ABS over polyethelyne any day.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Lorna, I know we dance to different drumbers but great post. Been there, done that stuff rocks with me--the rest (anybody's) sucks. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Quote:
We bought a 1100 watt microwave/grill oven from Walmart yesterday. Only $100 regular price. Sure beats the $250 - $300 for a 900 watt Sharp Grill 2 Go. Our old microwave simply wasn't cooking anymore unless it felt like it. And it felt like it less and less. We have only microwaved in it. Haven't used the grill (browning element in the top) yet. The documentation for using the grill is pretty poor. I've got to look up some more info on it via the internet.
Been using the microwave for a little. We really like it. The microwave is 1100 watts and the grill is 1100 watts. Now Wal-Mart's website saying that it's $89! Been browning up the frozen dinner rolls (7 minutes under the grill from thawed). That's the only thing we have used the grill for. And that's about the only thing we really wanted it for. But this is pretty neat. I got a toaster oven and a microwave in one box for one low price and that is what I wanted. Based on how hot my water for tea is after 1 minute, I would say the old microwave had been losing power for quite some time. You gotta get you one of these!

On edit: I would like to add that I think microwaves are like DVD players and any other electronic device, they are good for roughly 4 years then you replace them. That's why we went with such a cheap model and I have a problem paying a lot of money for a 900 watt microwave. I have a big oven, I just didn't want to crank it up to brown a couple of rolls. We do our real grilling on the LP grill outside.
20+ years and counting for my big Litton microwave.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
... 20+ years and counting for my big Litton microwave.
It seems that every time I replace a micro, they last less and less time. My first micro died in a house fire. My 2nd micro/convection/grill died in a campground (low power killed it) and it was 10 yo at the time. And it's been going downhill ever since! David says it's "job security" I call it deliberate obsoletism!

But we are very happy with our new micro. When we have had it a little longer, I will do a product review on it. We not only use the current cheapie micro to "wave" in but toast frozen dinner rolls, make toast and reheat (grill) my fried chicken that I freeze (yes, you CAN freeze/reheat home fried chicken as long as you reheat it right).