Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
What do you all carry with you for tools and spare parts?

I am just planning on what to take and was wondering what do you all carry with you for tools and spare parts?
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Essentials (in my opinion):

1: Fire extinguisher. It's just like a parachute - you hope you never need it, but when you do, nothing else will really do the job. And you need it *RIGHT NOW*.
2: Reflective triangles, which should have been in your bus when you bought it.
3: Spare fuses (if you don't have breakers).
4: Spare fan belt(s) and fuel filters. Appropriate tools to change both.
5: Extra oil and coolant. Sometimes a gallon or two of water will at least get you off the highway to a place you can get more.
6: Basic tools. Wrenches, screwdrivers, socket-set(s) (some belt tensioners have square holes to allow ratchets or breaker bars to release the tension).
7: Jumper cables.
8: A spare tire, jack(s) and tools to change it. This can be important if you don't have a common size tire or wheel. Some people will not change split-rim tires (if you have these).
9: Chains, straps, ropes, bungee cords and various other instruments of securement.
10: Cell phone, GPS, and other means of finding your way and communication. Charging methods for them, both 12V and wall-plugs. Solar, if appropriate.

This is not by any means a comprehensive list but it's a good start for some of the basics to keep on board.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Brad's list is a good one.

Make sure the wrenches and sockets you bring will fit your engine (some have both metric and "american" fasteners).

Check that you can actually remove lug nuts with the tools you have - you may need a piece of pipe to give more leverage than a standard breaker bar/lug wrench can give you.

Add some 4x4 wheel chocks and some leveling boards. You can drive the inner dually onto a couple of leveling boards and remove the outer dually without a jack.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Great advice!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Skoolie

I carry just about every tool I own both SAE & metric, spare old fan belts, 20 ton jack, spare tire/wheel, fluids & my Jeep. If I need anything else I'll just drive the Jeep to the parts store.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
I carry just about every tool I own both SAE & metric, spare old fan belts, 20 ton jack, spare tire/wheel, fluids & my Jeep. If I need anything else I'll just drive the Jeep to the parts store.
Having a towed vehicle is great if you have a breakdown, but not everyone will have that luxury. Besides, there are places that you wouldn't want to leave your vehicle unattended for any length of time, either due to being a bad area, or danger of being hit by passing traffic. Also, if you snap a fan belt late Sunday night, most parts places will be closed (and Big Box stores may not have the belt you need).

*NEVER* rely on some remote, distant mom-and-pop parts place having what you need "on the shelf". Sure, fuses and lights are pretty common, but your fan belt or fuel filter or tire size may not be. Have a spare, and replace that when you have the opportunity.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'll get to the tool box in a minute. I carry both AAA and Good Sam "unlimited" towing cards and a fat credit card--I consider them travel tools. Just so the tow driver won't think I'm a total tool myself, I carry a Tupper Ware 9"x 12" covered "cake pan" with 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet wrenches, 1/4" to 3/4" sockets and their metric equivalent, similar size box/open end wrenches, pliers, side cutter. crimping tool, crimps (yellow blue and M/F spades), a small roll of ignition wire, multiple sets of fuses as used in my bus, Torx bit and socket set, small Allen wrench set, small and medium adjustable wrench, small and medium flat and Phillips screwdrivers, a medium size hammer cut to fit the box, a small multimeter with continuity tester, a FRESH roll of masking tape and of course a 9mm Beretta (in it's own lock box). Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I'll get to the tool box in a minute. I carry both AAA and Good Sam "unlimited" towing cards and a fat credit card--I consider them travel tools. Just so the tow driver won't think I'm a total tool myself, I carry a Tupper Ware 9"x 12" covered "cake pan" with 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet wrenches, 1/4" to 3/4" sockets and their metric equivalent, similar size box/open end wrenches, pliers, side cutter. crimping tool, crimps (yellow blue and M/F spades), a small roll of ignition wire, multiple sets of fuses as used in my bus, Torx bit and socket set, small Allen wrench set, small and medium adjustable wrench, small and medium flat and Phillips screwdrivers, a medium size hammer cut to fit the box, a small multimeter with continuity tester, a FRESH roll of masking tape and of course a 9mm Beretta (in it's own lock box). Jack
9mm Beretta, fantastic gun. Your my kind of people lol ;)
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
and of course a 9mm Beretta (in it's own lock box). Jack
We have a short bus so I have to carry a .380 Ruger (the .380 is a scaled down 9mm)

When taking off a wheel lately I noticed that my 1/2" drive breaker bar had a LOT of flex when I stood on it to break the lug nuts loose. That led me to upgrade to a 3/4" drive breaker bar, extensions and socket for my lug nut removal. No worries about breaking that setup.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
When taking off a wheel lately I noticed that my 1/2" drive breaker bar had a LOT of flex when I stood on it to break the lug nuts loose. That led me to upgrade to a 3/4" drive breaker bar, extensions and socket for my lug nut removal. No worries about breaking that setup.
Take a look at Transcendence's recent video about his maiden/shakedown voyage and all the stuff that went wrong with his bus. He's using and recommending something I've seen in catalogs but never up close and personal. It's essentially a planetary gear set in a can that slips over one lug and has an arm that sits against the adjacent lug. His has 58-to-1 gear reduction, which is an equivalent amount of torque increase. Looks like it's just the thing to win any and all arguments with lug nuts.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote