Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
What Gauge Steel?

What gauge of sheet steel are folk using to skin-over windows?

I was planning to use 18-gauge, but I noticed that dzlfreak used 20-gauge and he had more distance to span than I have.

I have quotes of $75 for a 8 x 4 sheet of 1008 at 18-gauge and am assuming the 20-gauge will be about $60, and a lot easier to cut and handle.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
BurlKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 502
Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
What gauge of sheet steel are folk using to skin-over windows?

I was planning to use 18-gauge, but I noticed that dzlfreak used 20-gauge and he had more distance to span than I have.

I have quotes of $75 for a 8 x 4 sheet of 1008 at 18-gauge and am assuming the 20-gauge will be about $60, and a lot easier to cut and handle.

i used 20 and it worked great. we had used a metal gauge on the original bus body. the skin was 19 gauge and the hat channels were 15...I'm pretty sure best way to figure your situation out is measure it quick, then go to the shop and get that size or +/- 1 gauge from the metal you want to match up.



I have the receipt in front of me, and paid $30 a panel 4'x8' sheets. needed 8 total to cover my bus, which was raised.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
i used 20 and it worked great. we had used a metal gauge on the original bus body. the skin was 19 gauge and the hat channels were 15...I'm pretty sure best way to figure your situation out is measure it quick, then go to the shop and get that size or +/- 1 gauge from the metal you want to match up.



I have the receipt in front of me, and paid $30 a panel 4'x8' sheets. needed 8 total to cover my bus, which was raised.
I'll go with the 20-gauge.

I think steel prices have risen some.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Ninjakitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brevard County, FL
Posts: 870
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I bought 20 gauge galvenealed 4 x 10 sheets for $48~ a sheet plus 1.50 a cut.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk
__________________
Nick
Ninjakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Mgulley82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 171
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
We used the interior roof panels we removed

Not sure what gauge but seems decent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mgulley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 148
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
My interior was 20 gauge cold rolled - I used all that and bought more of the same to finish.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Dead pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: in the bus on the road
Posts: 464
Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
I used 20. Trump just raised the price on steel tho.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgulley82 View Post
We used the interior roof panels we removed

Not sure what gauge but seems decent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My ceiling panels are full of tiny holes. It's ironic. That was an expensive option that is now less useful than a solid ceiling would have been.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
Skoolie
 
Mgulley82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 171
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
My ceiling panels are full of tiny holes. It's ironic. That was an expensive option that is now less useful than a solid ceiling would have been.


Thatís a bummer

Only the one over our cab was like that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mgulley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 281
Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Scrap is up so imagine these panels will be higher now.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NH
Posts: 54
Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgulley82 View Post
We used the interior roof panels we removed

Not sure what gauge but seems decent
I never thought of this..hmm time to research.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
I never thought of this..hmm time to research.
I would have done the same had that option been open to me.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 1,611
Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I've fully re-skinned my bus, top to bottom and front to back. Below the floor I've built storage bins and used 20 gauge sheet because that's what I could comfortably work with in my metal brake to form the doors and jambs. Hopefully the bends will stiffen it much more than 20 gauge would ordinarily be.

From floor level up 4 feet I've used a band of 16 gauge, the thought being that's the area most likely to interact with mailboxes, street signs, bushy trees, people leaning on it, etc. From there up to the roof I have a 3 foot wide band of 18 gauge. Less need for it to be strong, and I need to form a bunch of window openings in it.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I've fully re-skinned my bus, top to bottom and front to back. Below the floor I've built storage bins and used 20 gauge sheet because that's what I could comfortably work with in my metal brake to form the doors and jambs. Hopefully the bends will stiffen it much more than 20 gauge would ordinarily be.

From floor level up 4 feet I've used a band of 16 gauge, the thought being that's the area most likely to interact with mailboxes, street signs, bushy trees, people leaning on it, etc. From there up to the roof I have a 3 foot wide band of 18 gauge. Less need for it to be strong, and I need to form a bunch of window openings in it.
On top of what was there or did you remove all the old stuff? Did you replace the rub rails? This seems very expensive. Did you scrap the old stuff or are you using it for something else?
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I'm going to use 18-gauge for the window skins.

It's reasonably priced, my nibbler will cut it and the heaviest piece I will have to move into place is only 35 lbs when cut to size.

The thicker steel wiil help reduce the tendency to "oil-can".

I must have looked at a dozen ways to do this. In the end, simply cutting the panels and screwing them into place the way Thomas did with the original panels seems easiest.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 1,611
Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
On top of what was there or did you remove all the old stuff? Did you replace the rub rails? This seems very expensive. Did you scrap the old stuff or are you using it for something else?
My project has included a roof raise (required 16" of new vertical coverage all the way around), delete 2/3 of the windows (required 30" vertical coverage over the back half), delete the front service door (new metal in lower wall, plus build skirting too), and create storage bins between the axles (replace most of the rest of the skirting). At that point there's so much new metal being hung here and there it would turn out to be quite a patchwork and I just didn't think there'd be a reasonable way of making it look good.

If I remember correctly it cost something like $1500 for the stack of 16 ga and 18 ga sheets, mostly 4x10 feet with a few 4x12. Probably $800 of it was required spending because it was to cover places where there was no sheet originally. The other $700 was "optional." I guess it could be viewed as expensive, but when I thought about spraying $2000 of foam on the inside and $3000 of paint on the outside, and all the labor going into it too, I just couldn't invest all that money and work only to have the final project look patched together. It made a lot of sense to go all the way with it, and that actually made my roof raise easier in a way too.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
My project has included a roof raise (required 16" of new vertical coverage all the way around), delete 2/3 of the windows (required 30" vertical coverage over the back half), delete the front service door (new metal in lower wall, plus build skirting too), and create storage bins between the axles (replace most of the rest of the skirting). At that point there's so much new metal being hung here and there it would turn out to be quite a patchwork and I just didn't think there'd be a reasonable way of making it look good.

If I remember correctly it cost something like $1500 for the stack of 16 ga and 18 ga sheets, mostly 4x10 feet with a few 4x12. Probably $800 of it was required spending because it was to cover places where there was no sheet originally. The other $700 was "optional." I guess it could be viewed as expensive, but when I thought about spraying $2000 of foam on the inside and $3000 of paint on the outside, and all the labor going into it too, I just couldn't invest all that money and work only to have the final project look patched together. It made a lot of sense to go all the way with it, and that actually made my roof raise easier in a way too.
Oh, roof raise, yeah, I'm not doing that. I just never heard of anyone doing that much new metal.
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 33
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS 65
Engine: 5.9L L6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
I took apart my seats and saved the sheet metal. Was thinking of using this if I needed to skin something over. Anyone know what gauge they may be?

Genghis sends.

z
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
I took apart my seats and saved the sheet metal. Was thinking of using this if I needed to skin something over. Anyone know what gauge they may be?

Genghis sends.

z
I don't understand. I thought the only metal in the seats was the brackets really and those I have seen used for mounting solar on the roof. I saved the interior skin sheet metal that * I removed * but the bus was mostly gutted when I got it. I hope to use some of it to cover my seat bolt holes in the floor using sikkaflex to stick that on well all around the holes. I have a couple of places where the floor actually has a small rust hole and I was going to use the heaviest guage bits of metal in those areas. I bought one roll of painted galvanized steel roof flashing also. It should cover the holes that my bus skin won't. I hope. At the very least if I roll it over a whole row of holes it's going to be faster to cover those than ones that I do 2 at a time with small pieces of metal. I also have an area around the stairs that clearly has more rust issues (most seem to be where it was welded). This is one of the reasons that I would rather avoid welding for fixes anywhere I can use an alternate method that is less likely to rust. Ok, that and the fact that I own no equipment for welding and don't know how. My son wants to learn and I'm sure there will be opportunities to do that on the bus but in many cases it doesn't seem to be the best option due to rust later.

Even a welder by trade said he was using allthread and unistrut to hang or reinforce storage under his bus because it would be an easier fix if it got knocked on the road.

So much to figure out still.....
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 33
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS 65
Engine: 5.9L L6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
There was tubular steel framing the seats, but there was sheet metal on the backs under the Upholstery between the framing. The sheet metal was the size of the seat backs, ~ 3' x 2'. I recovered about 30 + pieces from my 77 pax Thomas.

Genghis sends.

z
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×