Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: ?
Chassis: chevrolet
Engine: 292L 6
Rated Cap: ?
What goes in greywater

Hi all.

I'm going to be doing a lot of boondocking with my bus, and I wont to be able to stay off grid as long as possable. Not wonting to go to town every week or two to empty the tanks, I decided not to use a black water tank. Composting toilets work best with constant use and care, and I'm not a full timer yet so decided to go with a port-a-potti. (insert joke here)

My question is, if I install a waterless urinal, will my grey water still be grey? And if so where can I drain it? (more jokes)

Any ideas?

oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: What goes in greywater

My answer would be yes,
Grey water consist of kitchen waste water from washing dishes, cooking etc....... PLUS
the water from the bath room sink and shower tub or whatever you have in there.
Black water tanks handle the toliet waste water and whatever goes down the drain...

Most if not all states prohibit the draining or dumping of greywater in anything except a authorized dumping station.
Alot of states have dump stations in their roadside rest areas. Flying J and several other truck stops have
RV dumping stations also. Remember whatever gets dumped on the ground will end up in your drinking water later....
Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool
... I decided not to use a black water tank... and I'm not a full timer yet so decided to go with a port-a-potti.
How many will be in the bus? You should be able to go 1 week on a 25 gallon black tank. It will need water. For a porti-potti, we used to have one in the popup (still have it for some reason). I would dump it in either at dump station, in our home toilet, down our sewer clean out trap (every home should have one IMHO), in a pit toilet OR in the toilets in the bathhouse (don't get caught, lift the seat and clean up afterwards... they can splash a little when dumping). I also have a 30 gallon "blue tote" (which is grey) that I drain our tanks into when we need to dump but don't want to move (used mostly in state parks)

Quote:
... if I install a waterless urinal, will my grey water still be grey?
Your grey water will be considered black due to human waste.

Quote:
And if so where can I drain it?
See above! You need to look at where you will be boondocking at as well. BLM, NFs, WMAs, etc all have different rules regarding waste water. Also what state you are in also needs to be considered. In the Southeast, where camp areas are not the plentiful and are also subject to year-round use, you cannot dump anything on the ground except in designated areas. You can be fined (city, county, state, federal all get a piece of you), jailed, banned from the campgrounds (GA will put you in their database and you can't rent a site in any state campground)... and then the EPA can go after you. We did drain our grey water out into the woods in Tims Ford State Park (TN) because the park rangers asked us to because the SE US was in a severe drought. I asked three times if they were sure it was okay.

Sanidumps has good info on where to dump. You will need to get potable water anyway. Don't get it out of creeks unless you have a filtration system designed for that type of water... like a reverse osmosis system.

Dump locations - map view
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

With all the dump stations list at the site ( lornaschinske)posted above you should not have much of a problem finding a place to dump....
However it is always a matter of convenience or inconvenience in this case if you are a long way from anywhere and have to pack up to go dump.... Just try to conserve all you can and use public or camping restrooms when available.........
ie ........ plan ahead
Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Check out the Android app from sanidumps, just downloaded the free one looks very good, will probably update soon.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: ?
Chassis: chevrolet
Engine: 292L 6
Rated Cap: ?

Thanks. Thats a lot of usefull info.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote