Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: What Inverter To Get?

i like to spend $200 and get a cheap modified sine wave 2000w inverter. I have ran dozens of different devices off of one of these inverters and been very satisfied.

pure sine wave is way overrated unless you have a specific item you need to power than cannot run properly off from modified.

harbor freight or northern tool have some pretty good online deals.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

Coachwork: Coming, summer 2010
Re: What Inverter To Get?

If you don't mind a newbie replying to this. I'm not a bus owner...yet (likely this summer), but I happen to be an applications engineer for Xantrex. The HF is a great choice, though the charger is a bit small for dry-camping. I could help with inverter selection if you have a list of all appliances. I also could help you determine if a sine wave is necessary. I wrote an article about this kind of thing at http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/2752/docserve.aspx. I also have a related article at http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/2754/docserve.aspx. It's driven towards the marine market, but the principles are the same.

Smitty, I've been following your story over the last couple of weeks, and I was telling my wife that you and I missed an opportunity. You needed an inverter, and I need some conversion adivce. I'm in Elkhart, and we could have worked out a deal. That said, I'd love to visit you and your bus, before it's finished, with my wife if you're willing (I'm still trying to convince her that a bus is stronger for the dollar than an RV). You've already got an inverter so I don't have that collateral, but I'll buy a pizza for the event...willing?

Last rat-hole: I read a post from Elliot Naess that explained school busses in less than 5000 words, but now can't find it. Anybody come across it lately that can redirect me?

Thanks!