Old 04-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: what is a good way to heat bus

thank you all for the help I'm still undecided, were trying to get other systems together , & get the bus done before I can't work anymore.
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Well I can tell you from my experince how NOT to heat a bus... First I tried a small portable porpane heater and that thing was a compleate joke. You could only feel a small amount of heat right in front of it, I don't think it raised the temp of the bus much if at all.. you can read about that adventure here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2472&hilit

Then I got one of those wall mounted ventless propane heaters, which puts out a ton of heat and works great... untill it's time to lay down and go to sleep. All the heat floated up to the upper 1/3 of the bus and left me litterly frozen all night. You can read about that adventure here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1532&hilit

When that failed to keep me warm camping in Febuary in Canada I ran the engine all night with the bus heaters going... and that works great.

I think the best solution for heat in a bus is an actual furnace. I've seen used house furnaces go for as little as $150 at local auctions and craigslist & RV furnaces for about the same. I think this is what I'll try next since I haven't found a good way to heat my bus yet.
My Old Bus :(
phillbus914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Can you sleep with a fan going? You can get big computer box fans or clip-ons or something, mount it on or by the ceiling and use it to push the air around. Will help with the lower freezing.

I use to work at a moving theater, in box office mostly, where they had the A/C blasting in the summer. The floor was cold, the counters weren't. Put a fan on the floor facing up and it cooled the room by almost 20 degrees. Pulled the same trick in the winter, just hung it from the ceiling facing down.

Anyone else have an idea???
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International Cornbinder
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

I am thinking of building a water furnace that runs off of wood. I have about 6 months to figure it out
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

For those that run a high-end rig there is a company that is making heated windows now that run off D/C. They are pretty cool, I mean warm and run about 40dollars a square foot. Exspensive but really awesome! I have seen them in action and they would totally heat a bus through the winter. I'm pretty someone could research them by contacting the "heatmeister". Do a google search for him and I'm sure he'd tell you all about them for he is waaaayyy into that kind of stuff. RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote