Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466 (MT643 trans)
Rated Cap: 19
After being separated from this situation for a while now, I can honestly say that little more than over excitement caused me to take the plunge on such an expensive bus at such a great distance.

I convinced myself that the engine/tranny combo was rare in a bus of this size and that I should jump on it price and distance be damned. Can't believe how fortunate I am that this didn't work out because we just bought a bus that fits us even better at 1/3 the price at 1/17 the distance at auction.

If nothing else- this situation has taught me that patience is most certainly a virtue.
Zndrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: International Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: This guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post
After being separated from this situation for a while now, I can honestly say that little more than over excitement caused me to take the plunge on such an expensive bus at such a great distance.

I convinced myself that the engine/tranny combo was rare in a bus of this size and that I should jump on it price and distance be damned. Can't believe how fortunate I am that this didn't work out because we just bought a bus that fits us even better at 1/3 the price at 1/17 the distance at auction.

If nothing else- this situation has taught me that patience is most certainly a virtue.
Don't hold out on me. Where'd you get it?
CeramicHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466 (MT643 trans)
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicHammer View Post
Don't hold out on me. Where'd you get it?

Roller Auctions
in Colorado.

The bus we bought came from the Cherry Creek school district around Denver.

The process isn't complete yet- so there's definitely still room for a snag, but so far so good.
Zndrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post

Roller Auctions
in Colorado.

The bus we bought came from the Cherry Creek school district around Denver.

The process isn't complete yet- so there's definitely still room for a snag, but so far so good.
We're obviously hunting for the same bus! I was looking at those listings a few days ago and considered bidding and flying from Arizona to Colorado to pick it up. Someone put it in my head that I want a 95 or older so the DT466 is all-mechanical, which ultimately discouraged me from bidding but I'm starting to wonder if I should even care about that. I'm you snagged it!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Holy moly. Those buses went for cheap!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
mechanical engines are definitely easier to work on than electronic.. in some areas of the country they go for huge money as the exporters want them to send over-seas where fancy diagnostic tools arent always at hand..

diagnosing an 'E' is an art and a skill.. but it can be learned.. however its typically not cheap to throw parts at.. However if computers dont scare you often you can score a really nice bus Very cheap because it as an 'E' engine and people are scared of them...

my first bus is all mechanicalll I recent got an 'E' bus to mess around with.. so im learning my way around the dianostic tools.. I ifgured i should see how the tools act and work since the bus runs great.. that way i know what something abnormal looks like when it occurs... as opposed to starting out with a bus that has faults..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Having to have something NOW always ends in a less than stellar purchase and often buyers remorse.
Patience is really important in snagging a really desirable bus. Took me twelve years to get the one I've got now! Sorta.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
mechanical engines are definitely easier to work on than electronic.. in some areas of the country they go for huge money as the exporters want them to send over-seas where fancy diagnostic tools arent always at hand..

diagnosing an 'E' is an art and a skill.. but it can be learned.. however its typically not cheap to throw parts at.. However if computers dont scare you often you can score a really nice bus Very cheap because it as an 'E' engine and people are scared of them...

my first bus is all mechanicalll I recent got an 'E' bus to mess around with.. so im learning my way around the dianostic tools.. I ifgured i should see how the tools act and work since the bus runs great.. that way i know what something abnormal looks like when it occurs... as opposed to starting out with a bus that has faults..

-Christopher
You hit the nail on the head. I actually love computers and electronic diagnostic tools but I am averse to expensive parts and expensive technicians. I randomly saw your post in the sidebar earlier today about a bus you're watching on govdeals. I'm curious how it turns out so don't forget to post an update if you win!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
actuaslly it wasnt me watching one on govdeals.. I bought one a couple weeks ago in the onlinepros auction.. I really was only sot of halfway looking for a second bus for another project... so I low-bid on a bus that had what i needed.. newer than my other one by 9 years.. (DEV is a 1991 and all mechanical), the new bus is a 2000 wit ha T-444E.. my low bid got accepted so i won the bus.. I went out to texas from florida last week and drove it 1100 flawless miles to florida...

everything on it works great.. though i do notice my oil P "hunts" a little.. some of thats normal on a T-444E .. nevertheless if my IPR cycle is high i'll replace the ICP and IPR as they are 2 very common failures on this engine... rather fix and replace in my parking spot rather than along the road.. so its kind of a "before it breaks" fix... even though everyone will tell me if it aint broke dont fix it...

but im learning my way with its computers now and taking snapshots of the values and the signals fro mthe computer.. since it all works I can use that as a baseline for what the parameters should be like in normal..

that way if or when something goes off-center with the computers i have some baselines to look at and shoot for to make it run again..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I'm bidding on one on GovDeals.