Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Not knowing what was going on with the bus I can only offer a couple of things that might have caused the problems you were having.

The first and most common would have been a clogged fuel filter. If that bus had not just arrived in on trade it could have been sitting for more than a year. With the wonderful fuel we are forced to purchase it wouldn't have surprised me to discover the fuel filters filled with sludge.

The second area may have been the vent on the fuel tank. Over time, due in large part to our wonderful fuel, the vents get stuck up with gunk. You can drive as long as the pump can overcome the vacuum that is created in the tank without a vent. Once you get to that point you will run out of fuel even if the gauge says you have 1/2 of a tank remaining.

I have had both happen to me.

As far as dealers, auctions, or private sellers are concerned, you need to go into the purchase figuring that the description is a lot better than reality, the pictures were not taken recently, and the bus has been sitting around a lot more than it has been driven daily.

As a bus salesman I have sold buses that have sat around literally for years. The fact you can get them to start and move on their own is the next best thing to a miracle. I have also sold buses that were taken off of a daily route when they were traded in and didn't even stop in our shop before they went to the new owner.

Assuming someone in the dealer's shop had gone over the bus is not a good assumption to make. Most dealers take in trades based on the salesman's inspection and are priced accordingly. If you want an inspection you will need to pay for it yourself. The dealer is not going to bother if it comes in with a current year state inspection.

All I can say is caveat emptor.

Good luck and happy trails to you.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466 (MT643 trans)
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicHammer View Post
We're obviously hunting for the same bus! I was looking at those listings a few days ago and considered bidding and flying from Arizona to Colorado to pick it up. Someone put it in my head that I want a 95 or older so the DT466 is all-mechanical, which ultimately discouraged me from bidding but I'm starting to wonder if I should even care about that. I'm you snagged it!
Ha! Too funny. I think I picked up the only mechanical DT466 they had: at least in the flat nose variety. Honestly I had just assumed they made a mistake and forgot to put the E at the end since all others we Es. Got lucky!

I'll be on the lookout for similar buses up here for you.
Zndrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 L
I guess I ll add my two noob cents here.
Bought a bus from the infamous NC for 2300 in govdeals.
Made it home with a leaking transmission.
I've been dropping some money on diagnostics before I drop any on repairs.
So far it seems to be a common overheating problem with a straight forward fix; I'm hoping.

People in Craigslist have offered 2-3k so far. Maybe I sell and get a smaller 4 windows bus-van.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

I'll be taking her to a shop for a once over shortly. Ran a little hot on the highway back home: ~210 at higher RPMs. Once we got off the highway she chilled out to around 190 or so.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post
I'll be taking her to a shop for a once over shortly. Ran a little hot on the highway back home: ~210 at higher RPMs. Once we got off the highway she chilled out to around 190 or so.

clean out the fins on the radiator and check the fan clutch... 210 and you shouldve heard a fan roaring over that diesel engine.. you likely have a Viscous fan clutch..

it has a little metal coil in the front of the clutch.. that gets caked with dirt.. its about an inch in diamter in the center of the front of that clutch..

old toothbrush and some dawn liquid with water.. clean all the grease and dirt off that little coil... clean the toothbrush, dry it and spray the brush with PB-blaster lubricator or WD-40. run that across that little coil a few times to get it nice N oily... then drive.. see if the fan comes in or if it still gets hot... 8 times out of 10 that fixes it... otherwise replace the fan clutch and turn its temperature down a few because of IHC crappy 1/2 n 1/2 design of rad and turbo cooler.. (borg warner are adjustable)

after I replaced and adjusted the one on my DT-360, 185 maxx on the hottest days and then i hear that fan come on like a semi truck!! runs for a minute then shuts off when my temp goes to 180..

it was 95 and humid out yesterday when I had the bus running around and heard my fan run a lot!

a Cool DT is a happy DT
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
clean out the fins on the radiator and check the fan clutch... 210 and you shouldve heard a fan roaring over that diesel engine.. you likely have a Viscous fan clutch..

it has a little metal coil in the front of the clutch.. that gets caked with dirt.. its about an inch in diamter in the center of the front of that clutch..

old toothbrush and some dawn liquid with water.. clean all the grease and dirt off that little coil... clean the toothbrush, dry it and spray the brush with PB-blaster lubricator or WD-40. run that across that little coil a few times to get it nice N oily... then drive.. see if the fan comes in or if it still gets hot... 8 times out of 10 that fixes it... otherwise replace the fan clutch and turn its temperature down a few because of IHC crappy 1/2 n 1/2 design of rad and turbo cooler.. (borg warner are adjustable)

after I replaced and adjusted the one on my DT-360, 185 maxx on the hottest days and then i hear that fan come on like a semi truck!! runs for a minute then shuts off when my temp goes to 180..

it was 95 and humid out yesterday when I had the bus running around and heard my fan run a lot!

a Cool DT is a happy DT
-Christopher
Thanks! Will do. Part of my issue is going to be identifying the engine's parts well enough to know what I'm looking at. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I learn fast.

Engine had more or less the same sound all the way home- so I would guess the fan didn't kick on.