Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
I chose the Whynter unit for 3 reasons.
1. has a separate freezer compartment with separate thermostat from fridge compartment. How can that be done in a "fridger"?
2. 12v dc when off grid and no shore, but 120v ac when shore or genny in use AUTOMATICALLY. I dont want to have to remember!!
3. Size. A home style chest freezer in a shuttle of shorty is just too big.

BUT if something works for you the way YOU want it, thats what matters the most. Decide your style of living and plan around that.

Doug

Old 12-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Unless you're a hunter, you're not going to want a 23 cf chest freezer in your bus. There's no point if you don't have a use for it. However, the mega mart stores have these tiny chest freezers that could sit sideways against a side window without blocking the isle in the middle of the bus. Plus, who doesn't need more flat countertop in their bus?

It is about what you need for your circumstances. I live alone, so my needs are quite simple compared to couples and families. Being able to conveniently change the settings on a chest freezer to accommodate freezing game or fish is invaluable at times.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I am also going Whynter for reasons of size. I have not found anything else that features separate fridge & freezer in such a small footprint. Will fit nicely under my counter.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think for my application in a 40' full build out with a kitchen I just don't see 2-3cf being enough. I can get a stand up apartment fridge/freezer for $350 and is 7.5cf, measures 23.5 x 21 x 56". Down side is it doesn't work off 12v, but should have electric need addressed with inverter/gene. Winters just look too small and too expensive for my app.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #25
Bus Geek

If I go to TX during the summer I'm going to need a freezer big enough to sit inside of. Hmm, maybe a six foot long freezer wouldn't be so bad. A little futon in there, some cold drinks.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If I go to TX during the summer I'm going to need a freezer big enough to sit inside of. Hmm, maybe a six foot long freezer wouldn't be so bad. A little futon in there, some cold drinks.
We are looking at a kind of halfway house.

Doing everything possible to reduce heat transfer, then fitting a small-ish window unit in the rear bedroom. At least there will be somewhere cooler to retreat to for a while, if we need it.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Quote:
I think you just solved how to run ac on solar only
Doug
Old 12-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Lol! Im in Texas right now and hate the weather/swing moods
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: dt466e
I have a Dometic CFX-95DZW 90 quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer (Dual Zone,3.3CF,120/12-24V,WIFI

Paid 935 bucks for it. Its temporary til i get to where i have my electrical setup and build frame. Think the price was worth it? Gonna research the Whynterbrand mentioned by others
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im totally on board with the idea of chest vs upright freezer.. when I had a big upright freezer that thing required defrosting 5X as much as my chest freezer.. my guess being that the chest freezer didnt take in moisture like the upright did..

I am one that inside the living space i like aesthetics. and function.. even in the point made about "pretty in the showroom" is meeting function now as drawer freezers are becoming common place in the consumer world now.. you pull out a drawer at the bottom for the freezer.. yes bottom freezer - finally? since cold air sinks..

plus with a chest style you dont need to find a way to latch your frig doors shut when you drive... the door will stay closed on its own...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
There is no doubt in my mind that a chest refrigerator/freezer is the most energy efficient. After living with one for a short time on a sailboat, I found them to be less than ideal for organization and convenience. I know some people have learned to live with this "style" of food cooler but I was sure having a hard time with it.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that a chest refrigerator/freezer is the most energy efficient. After living with one for a short time on a sailboat, I found them to be less than ideal for organization and convenience. I know some people have learned to live with this "style" of food cooler but I was sure having a hard time with it.

for me i guess it would work perfect.. since the only thing in my freezer is frozen reeeses cups and ice cubes ... the only thing in my frig is soda pop...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #33
Bus Geek

It's true, it seems like what you need is always at the bottom of the freezer. Just don't let your bread get down there.

If you think back to all the old cooling devices, they were usually chest type refrigeration units. Even the old pop/soda machines were chest type, and for a good reason. As Chris and others have pointed out there is not a complete exchange of air every time the door is opened like in an upright.

Any refrigeration is going to be a power draw. I'm not going to worry about a few watts one way or the other. The chest freezers simply make more sense, but that's for me and the way my bus is set up. It may not apply equally to everyone.

I had a refrigerator/freezer in my bus, but after the door swung open a few times and I found the contents splayed across my floor I did some reconsidering. Honestly, I only need a refrigeration unit during the summer months. Even during the warmer months I've found it easy enough to get along with just a cooler, because there are stores everywhere we go. I can always get fresh produce while on the road. I only drink socially, so I don't have beer cooling requirements to deal with. The 4th of July is a cooler of ice, beer and snacks. I cook a lot of dried foods like beans, rice and noodles that require only dry and dark storage. Eggs last for nearly a week without refrigeration, and none of them have hatched yet.
It's not that hard to make a few concessions in living standards. This is glorified camping after all.