Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat 3126b
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Fine looking bunch.

If 6th is unlocked it will say "6" in the display when you turn on the ignition.

If it says "5", then five are all you have.
Thanks, I think they are kinda cute.
They have the 2000 so no push button or display to show the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's the biggest private purchase of buses I've seen at one time.

It took me 30 years to play with 5 buses.
I tend to do everything in a big way and then learn why I should have started small.
When I made the offer on them I thought winter was over, I dont think I would have done it if I knew that I would take posession with 6 inches of new snow and 6 degrees outside, fortunately every one of them started up without a hickup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Godspyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I do know how to get six unlocked...more or less! I discuss the whole process on my build thread but the short version is that you get a letter from Thomas approving the change and then you take that to a certified Allison technician who gets a control code from Allison that then reprograms your transmission control module. If I remember right the process is set up to allow you to do it by the fleet. I only had one bus to do it to but the form and paperwork was definitely set up so that he they could approve multiple buses at one time.
When you make the request to Thomas, it goes to their engineering department for approval. All I think they need is the VIN#.

If engineering approve they issue an approval letter. This can take a few weeks to a few months.

You send that letter to Allison, and you can do it direct or via a dealer. Allison also have to approve. If they do they issue a download link to the dealership (who have to have an authorised technician).

The code from that link is flashed to the TCM and it's done. It doesn't simply give you an extra gear. The new code remaps all the change points.

I have heard of a few restrictions. They won't issue an approval if the top speed will exceed 75 mph. They might put a rider insisting that engines are governed to 75 mph.

They may instruct the tech to only perform the work if the tires are appropriately speed rated.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote