Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
Re: What questions to ask a dealer?

Cool little bus!

i've bought 2 vehicles over the internet, unseen prior to the purchase. one was my bus.

a video of it starting, running and moving is a big confidence builder. watch for smoke colors, listen for noises. its real easy to say no, when something sounds out of sorts or it is smoking white.

all the pics in the world don't help if you "want" the bus. that rust seems excessive to me, but im in a drier part of the country. if its a bus dealer, see if they can find a replacement entry steps from the manufacturer to send along on the trip.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29

The plate on the bus says GVWR 25500 (which I assume is the gross weight since there is a Front (8000) and Rear (17500) number that adds up to 25500. Looks like GVWR is the max laden weight including passengers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehi ... ght_rating

I assume that is in LBS (pounds) which is 11.6 tonnes. In the UK you can drive up to 7.5 tonnes (Curb weight) on an ordinary car license so I might need to pass a Heavy Goods Vehicle test.

The question is how to find out the "Curb weight" (i.e. without passengers/luggage)? Perhaps I need to get dealer to take it to a Weight Station.

UPDATE
I asked Blue Bird and they don't record Curb Weight. From other research an 11 GVWR might only actually weigh 7 (in which case I should just be OK) - but I'll have to get seller to get a Weigh Station receipt. Checked with UK authority and they only care about the actual weight from a driving license POV
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Site Team

That's a nice size and specs a very heavy duty(in my very humble opinion). It has air brakes and rust. Rust never sleeps. Rust doesn't bother some people but I hate it. The inspection I was talking about was a safety inspection that NY and many east coast states require because of corrosion. An inspection from a mechanic would probably be better.

If the wife does the beating, he can probably be trusted...maybe.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
That's a nice size and specs a very heavy duty(in my very humble opinion). It has air brakes and rust. Rust never sleeps. Rust doesn't bother some people but I hate it. The inspection I was talking about was a safety inspection that NY and many east coast states require because of corrosion. An inspection from a mechanic would probably be better.

If the wife does the beating, he can probably be trusted...maybe.
I'm not too bothered about rust I can fix (bottom of doors). Obviously I am bothered about structural damage.

I found a company called lemonsquad who do RV (and would do a bus) inspections for $300 http://lemonsquad.com/services.php#rvin

Worth doing?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2

since there are no RV systems in place yet..... the closest willing mechanic is your best inspection option. its just a truck at this point, that has regularly been maintained and driven hard.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Unless I missed it, you haven't given the details about the bus. What engine, transmission, etc. $6500 sounds high to me. Maybe you can knock the price down a bit. Is this dealer in NY?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Rust on underside doesn't look too bad I don't see anything that would deter me, don't know your expertise in repair. Can you request pictures of specific areas? I would want to see the back and under side of the entry steps and behind that door, that rust goes pretty high in that area. Also up behind the rear mud flaps. The floor right in front of the rear wheel well, picture 14 shows that area near the frame,there would probably be more rust out by the body. The under side of the driver floor. The rear door looks to be completely rusted through at the bottom, can you get a picture looking up at the bottom of the door when open? The rust running down from the rear windows, especially the right one would concern me. Can you get an in focus close up of that area. It's probably from salt spray getting up under that seam, that stuff goes everywhere, and may not be all that serious.
Thanks somewhereinusa I have loaded more detailed pictures at http://1drv.ms/1qYUyff Numbers 19 to 54

Would appreciate your opinion!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Unless I missed it, you haven't given the details about the bus. What engine, transmission, etc. $6500 sounds high to me. Maybe you can knock the price down a bit. Is this dealer in NY?
29 seat Diesel Bluebird, DT 466E engine, Automatic. Yes in NY

I'm sure $6500 is high but I will negotiate on spare parts, reducing the paper invoice price so I pay less duty, delivery to a port (perhaps partial payment on handover to freight forwarder) etc. I prefer to do any haggling at the last minute when I have all the facts!

The reason I am pursuing this one is that 1) I want a short bus 2) I like the look of it 3) it is under 6 tonnes, so I can convert it and stay under my 7.5 tonne license limit 4) I don't mind fixing cosmetic rust 5) It is close to an exit port so I don't have to worry about getting it to a freight forwarder.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #19
Site Team

That's an awesome setup. Big engine, heavy specs, small bus. Hopefully you don't have an AT545 transmission. That bus will have the power to idle down the freeway. Does it have rear air suspension? Is the dealer Don Brown?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Somewhere is usually right but since I am a rust snob, I would continue looking. I expect that all of the nuts and bolts would be very hard to remove without either breaking or stretching. I also wouldn't want to bet on the structural soundness of the under carriage. Another question you might want to ask the dealer is why the bus was put up for sale; specifically, did it fail its last safety inspection--and why? Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote