Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Re: What questions to ask a dealer?

Here goes, for a "rust" state I don't see anything particularly glaring. Bear in mind I grew up and live in one of those states and it's not unusual to see a car or truck rusted out up to the windows, then more rust above the windows. I'll mention a few I do see.
23 if that doesn't go through it soon will. Proper fix would be take out window, then weld in both overlapping pieces.
26 Can't say for sure, probably rust clear through.
27 Note under hinge is clear through, hinge area is probably weak.
31 If this is underside of driver floor doesn't look real bad. On a car or truck this area is quite prone to rust since driver gets in and stuff drips of of boots as well as getting from underside, not so much on a bus.
33/34 This appears to be outer body brace behind right rear wheel. As you can see that black tarry undercoating tends to hide things. I hate that stuff, water will get underneath it and rust the metal but not be visible. It either falls off because of the rust or is really nasty to remove. Looks like picture taker might have just flaked it off in the picture.
35-38 Not too bad, but will need attention, if you're a welder just cut out bad and weld in new, most, I assume will be covered up in the end. Area towards front is probably in not clear through. Rug rats with their salty boots(doe's any kid wear boots anymore?) track in all kind of nastiness here.
39 That looks nasty, can't believe state\school safety inspectors let this go. At very least should have a coat of paint before it gets this way.
40 On closer inspection this on concerns me. This is I think left rear frame, not how the paint looks to have large humps in it at the right side? There is serious rust under that paint. If you poke at it, large flaky rust will fall away. The frame will be thinner at that point, Can't say how much, I'm just pointing it out. At the very least you would have to chip/scrape/sandblast and paint.I don't know what kind of inspections you have this may be a problem.
42 Same as left frame, None of the tires have all that much tread.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf
since there are no RV systems in place yet..... the closest willing mechanic is your best inspection option. its just a truck at this point, that has regularly been maintained and driven hard.
OK, so I asked the dealer to send me a copy of the title (picture 56 at http://1drv.ms/1qYUyff), which gave me the name of the School district. I then Bing'd their website and found the name of the Transportation Dept. So I called them up and the mechanic remembered the specific bus by its number (disposed of a year ago) and said it was "a good little bus, no problems". I also got a copy (from the dealer) of the last Inspection report which found no faults. It has only done a few hundred miles since that inspection report and the tacho reading today. The school district transportation manager confirmed that they recycle 2 buses each year as a matter of policy and it wasn't disposed of due to any faults. So I'm feeling more confident!

So the question is whether it is actually worth spending $120 for a mechanic's report.... I think I will (if nothing else it might give me a bit more ammunition to haggle)
Old 09-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf
Cool little bus!

i've bought 2 vehicles over the internet, unseen prior to the purchase. one was my bus.

a video of it starting, running and moving is a big confidence builder. watch for smoke colors, listen for noises. its real easy to say no, when something sounds out of sorts or it is smoking white.

all the pics in the world don't help if you "want" the bus. that rust seems excessive to me, but im in a drier part of the country. if its a bus dealer, see if they can find a replacement entry steps from the manufacturer to send along on the trip.
I have asked for a quote for a new set of steps...
Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrass
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
That's a nice size and specs a very heavy duty(in my very humble opinion). It has air brakes and rust. Rust never sleeps. Rust doesn't bother some people but I hate it. The inspection I was talking about was a safety inspection that NY and many east coast states require because of corrosion. An inspection from a mechanic would probably be better.

If the wife does the beating, he can probably be trusted...maybe.
I'm not too bothered about rust I can fix (bottom of doors). Obviously I am bothered about structural damage.

I found a company called lemonsquad who do RV (and would do a bus) inspections for $300 http://lemonsquad.com/services.php#rvin

Worth doing?
Going ahead with Lemonsquad inspection - it was $199 as a "Commercial Vehicle" inspection. Was straightforward to order over the Internet and you can specify things you want them to check.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyracer
I'd definitely look at an independent mechanic to review the bus.

Be very careful of the rust in busses from NY. I'd look for a dealer out west.

What is it going to cost you to ship to the UK? I'm military trying to get back over there and I'd love to bring my bus!!!
Had a quote of $2461 plus $250 insurance from ATI (who were recommended to me by a friend who shipped an Airstream). This is for Bayonne (NJ) to Southampton

For the record these were the ATI contact details.

Carlos Hermo
Business Development |ATI Container Services
11700 NW 36th Avenue, Miami, FL 33167, U.S.A. |Tel: 786 235 5400 Fax: 786 235 5420
Email: chermo@shippingati.com | Website: http://www.shippingati.com
Old 09-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
That's an awesome setup. Big engine, heavy specs, small bus. Hopefully you don't have an AT545 transmission. That bus will have the power to idle down the freeway. Does it have rear air suspension? Is the dealer Don Brown?
The dealer is Peter LaBarge at Quality Bus Service in NY. So far he has been very helpful! I would recommend him.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #27
Site Team

Cool, I hope you get the bus.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Cool, I hope you get the bus.
Well I bought it and am waiting to fix a date to ship it. I am using ATI Shipping who only informed me at the last minute (after I had found a driver to take it to the port) that there are no ships from Bayonne, NJ to UK in Oct, Nov or Dec so it will have to go via Baltimore.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
Site Team

good luck and cant wait to see pictures
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Wow.. A little bus like that with a DT466e and air brakes? If it had a manual transmission that would be my dream bus! (aside from the rust. Seems a bit pricey for the amount of rust)