Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Dog

Year: 1979
What seats work?

I recently got my first school bus. I have started pulling out the seats. I need better seats with seat belts (four kids, all in car seats). Anyway, down to the auto wreckers I went. I had not really given it much thought. Problem one. They have not made cars, vans, or trucks with just lap belts in a long time. And my other problem is the base of the seats. Nothing just bolts flat onto the floor. All the seats have some sort of clamping detachable type of mount. Does anyone know of a type of vehicle which is good to get seats out of? Is there a good / easy way to make newer seats work. I realize I could buy nice new RV seats. However, like most people, I am on a limited budget, and cost is a factor.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: What seats work?

Hello Dog, and welcome to the asylum! :P

Are you looking for bench, buckets or both? Depending on which, and the direction (facing) you want to mount them, there may be some options available to you.

Griff

p.s. Thank you for your signature, it means a lot. . .
Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Look at bench seats out of a Dodge van. I remember thinking they would be easy to bolt down in another vehicle. I'm 90% sure it was a Dodge.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Dog

Right now I will take any good seats that work. I just want to be on the road. In time I will figure out what I like the best and take my time hunting for them.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

hey dog get your seats from a van or mini van they usually have the seat belts incorporated into themselves those removable ones work ok captain seats from the rear work great they have the belts in them also got mine from a 89 chevy van and the rear bench has seat belts and folds into a bed as for color......cant help ya there
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Find some nice bucket seats, then order some swivel pedastals for them as well as lap belts from RV Surplus ...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Dog

Ha Ha. Actually it came from an idea that I have for a bus name. I want to call it the Lazy Dog. However, my wife doesn't like that. We are still trying to come up with a name we both like.... Still on a quest for some seats. Perhaps this weekend I can check out a couple more wreckers and find some old van seats.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Look at bench seats out of a Dodge van. I remember thinking they would be easy to bolt down in another vehicle. I'm 90% sure it was a Dodge.
I agree. One of the guys I work with has the rearmost seat from a Caravan in his '32 kit car. It bolted directly to the fiberglass floor and had seatbelts incorporated, not that he technically needs them since he can title it as a hotrod...nevermind that just about everything is new!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Skoolie

Hey Dog,

My wife wants to pull our small horse trailer with our bus, except, we raise miniature donkeys. I thought my bus would be the As* Hauler. She did not go for that name either. Its been a lot of fun with these miniature donks. I can proudly say that I truly enjoy showing my as*. My parents started us out on the donkeys. They have a larger donkey, so it really makes my mom mad when I tell our friends that her as* is bigger than mine.

I live near RV country, Elkhart, IN. There are a few surplus places that have brand new factory van seats for cheap. Not sure where you reside but it might be in your interest to see what a trip or shipping might be. If interested, let me know for more details.
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: I have your seat!

I bought a customized traveler van for my construction business and it came with Flexsteel (aftermarket rv seat manufacturer) bucket seats which I promptly nabbed for my bus but it also had a bench seat in the back with three lap belts which I took out and is sitting in my sister in laws place. If you want it I could send it but I don't know where you are and of course I am in Manitoba Canada, the shipping would cost you a fortune! But if you want to find this seat at a wrecker ask for a 1989 chevrolet G20 custom traveling van. These seats bolt directly to the floor and even has the ability to fold into a bed. The seat was originally built by Flexsteel as mentioned above. Check them out at http://www.flexsteel.com
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Dog

Hey, thanks for the offer. I do live in Canada (Coleman, AB). However, I think you are right, the shipping would kill me. Thanks for the tip about those seats. I will keep looking at auto wreckers.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #12

How about motorcoach seats? seems like someone is always de-seating one to make an RV.

I rode in a 25 passenger people hauler the other day and they had a little smaller version of the motorcoach seats and were very comfortable. They had lap belts although nobody used them.

I saw a 14 passenger bus on Ebay with 7 forward facing double seats on each side and the seats folded up against the side of the bus to open the floor to haul 8 wheelchairs. Seemed pretty slick for opening up floorspace.

Check with a local bus dealer, they usually have someone there that knows where to find things!! You probably have to get past the sales department and talk to someone in the shop.

Carl
carlsauction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #13

We live in ohio and would like to take our bus up to elkhart area to see if we can find some deals. Any places you would recommend or better ones to stay away from?
Laubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laubis View Post
We live in ohio and would like to take our bus up to elkhart area to see if we can find some deals. Any places you would recommend or better ones to stay away from?
We got some our tanks at RV Parts Nation. I believe it's more of an order it online and pick it up when you get there kinda place. They had a warehouse, but it's not really a retail operation. There's another place that is more retiail-like, but I don't remember the name (it was a similar name). They're both in Elkhart.

We got a barely used RV seat to use as the co-pilot seat at Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI. There's another RV salvage place called Johnson's Surplus that's also in White Pigeon, MI. Bontrager's had tons of seats and other furniture. I think it was all used furniture, but it was in good condition. They had LOTS of other RV parts, everything from awnings to water connections and windows. I wouldn't say one place was better than another, the both had many outbuildings full of stuff. If you're headed from Ohio to Indiana, you might want to stop in Michigan on the way. Make a list of junk you need first though!
Old 10-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
11 year old thread resurrection...
paulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Drew, don't pick on him too much. He did use the search function
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Drew, don't pick on him too much. He did use the search function
Drew wasn't the one picking on him.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Drew wasn't the one picking on him.
Ooops. Sorry Drew.

I have to laugh. New members are often directed to the search function to find that their questions have already been answered in previous posts.

The ones that find the search function first have a knack for posting to long dead threads.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I bought some seats out of a Dodge Ram Van and they bolt to floor w seat belts.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote